This slow cooker crustless pizza casserole is an easy recipe that will satisfy even your strongest pizza cravings. It is full of your favorite pizza flavors, just without the crust.
Does your entire family crave pizza the way mine does? Somehow we just can't get enough of it.
This yummy dish lets you serve a version of pizza on busy weeknights that doesn't involve takeout. Any night can become pizza night with this low carb recipe.
Just a few simple ingredients and you can toss together a delicious meal. Add in some favorite pizza toppings and this becomes a can't lose dish that even your picky eaters will love.
To make this easy crockpot recipe you will need these basic ingredients:
- lean ground beef* - cooked
- shredded mozzarella cheese*
- pizza sauce*
- onion - diced
- Italian seasoning
- garlic powder
- your favorite pizza toppings
This recipe starts with browned ground beef. I like to bulk-brown lean ground beef in my crock pot. I freeze it in recipe-sized portions so that I always have some on hand for quick dump meals.
Of course, this can also be accomplished in a large skillet stovetop. Or - if your slow cooker happens to have a browning feature, like my new one does, you can do it there.
Spray the inside of your slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray. Add browned beef and onions into the bottom of your slow cooker. Next, add in pizza sauce and all seasonings and stir to combine.
Top with a thick layer of shredded cheese and your favorite pizza toppings. Cover with lid and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Serve and enjoy!
There is no wrong way to serve this easy pizza casserole! It is great over riced or mashed cauliflower. Especially if you try to limit carbs or are on a keto diet. If not, it is also great over rice or mashed potatoes. It is even great stuffed into a jumbo baked potato!
It can be scooped into a roll as a great pizza sandwich. OR- it is awesome served as a huge dip-style meal with crusty bread or crackers. We love pretzel flats with this dish!!
Garlic bread is always a great addition! As is a crisp green salad.
Crustless pizza is delicious served over a bed of pasta. Or just spooned into a big bowl for a crustless pizza bowl meal.
- Not a fan of ground beef? Ground turkey, ground chicken and sausage all work perfectly with this crustless pizza recipe! Or try pizza chicken!
- Shredded mozzarella is great for a traditional flare. If you want to zhuzh it up a bit, try mixing your shredded cheese. Shredded sharp cheddar cheese is super yummy mixed with mozzarella. So is pepper jack cheese if want to add a kick. The options for this low-carb pizza casserole are endless.
- Marinara sauce, tomato sauce, or spaghetti sauce can be used in place of pizza sauce if you prefer. To keep this meal as low-carb as possible, use a sugar-free pizza sauce.
There are an endless array of toppings that can be added to this crockpot pizza casserole recipe. I try to add several so that I can please my whole family. Some suggestions are:
- Spicy Italian sausage
- Mild sausage
- Pepperoni slices
- Turkey pepperoni
- Mushroom slices
- Green pepper slices
- Red bell peppers
- Roasted red peppers
- Canadian bacon
- Black olives
- green olives
- Red pepper flakes
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese
- Grilled pineapple
- Caramelized onions
Store leftovers of this crock pot pizza casserole recipe in an airtight container. It will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator and several months in the freezer.
I like to store my favorite recipes in meal-sized portions for easy, next day reheat-and-eat.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
😉Hints & hacks
- This easy dinner recipe can be doubled for a crowd.
- Serve this slow cooker pizza casserole recipe as a dip at parties. You will be the most popular person in the room!
- If you are averse to cutting onions, chopped onion is generally available in the frozen vegetable section of the grocery store. Frozen onions work very well in slow cooker recipes!
- This crock pot recipe is an easy weeknight dinner for when your people will be eating at different times. Once cooked, turn your slow cooker to the warm setting (or have it automatically switch if you have this feature). Everyone will have a hot and filling meal, no matter what time of the evening they are ready to eat.
- This dish is a great option if you are looking for a keto dinner alternative to traditional pizza
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
- This is a great dish for a casserole crock pot.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small amount from qualifying purchases and affiliate links at no additional cost to you.
Slow Cooker Crustless Pizza Casserole Recipe
- 6 quart slow cooker or casserole style slow cooker
- Knife and cutting board
- 1.25 - 2 lbs ground beef cooked
- 2.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 13 oz jars pizza sauce
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, olives, parmesan cheese or any other pizza toppings you like!
- brown ground beef together with diced onion and drain excess fat1.25 - 2 lbs ground beef, 1 small onion
- add cooked ground beef/onion mixture to slow cooker. Top with pizza sauce and seasonings and stir to fully combine2 13 oz jars pizza sauce, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- top liberally with shredded mozzarella cheese until fully covered.2.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- place desired pizza toppings on top of cheese.pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, olives, parmesan cheese
- cover and cook on low for 4 hours
- serve and enjoy!