Slow Cooker Yankee Pot Roast is a delicious and easy one-pot meal. This simple recipe is made with beef and root vegetables together in a rich savory sauce. It will quickly become one of your favorite, easy comfort food dishes.
This is one of those classic slow cooker recipes that requires little effort but reaps big rewards. It takes just a few minutes of prep but can cook all day. And the results: a one-pot crock pot meal everyone will love.
As is typical of a traditional Yankee pot roast recipe, this dish is made with boneless chuck roast and tons of root vegetables. Chuck roast is a tougher cut of beef that becomes more tender with low and slow cooking. It is the perfect cut if you want to shred and serve. If you prefer to slice your roast, a round roast is a better choice. Round roast is slightly less fatty so the end result will be a little dryer, but delicious!
To make this classic Yankee pot roast, you will need:
- Roast - 3-4 lbs.
- Medium onion - chopped
- Carrots - chopped
- Celery - chopped
- Parsnips - chopped
- Turnips - chopped
- Stewed tomatoes
- Baby potatoes
- Beef Broth
- Dry Red Wine
- Rosemary - fresh if possible
- Thyme - fresh if possible
- Worcestershire sauce
- Corn starch - optional
- Salt and black pepper - to taste
Start this classic recipe by chopping up all of the veggies into large bite-sized chunks. Place potatoes and all cut vegetables into bottom of the slow cooker. Place beef on top of veggies. Add garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and tomatoes on top of beef. Pour the cup of wine and cup of the beef stock over top of all ingredients.
If using fresh rosemary and thyme, lay sprigs of each on the top of the mixture. If you are using dried seasonings to season beef, sprinkle these over your meat. Cover pot and cook on low-heat setting for about 10 hours or so. Your crockpot Yankee pot roast is ready to serve when it is falling apart tender.
Pro-tip: You may want to thicken up the juices in your crockpot. To do so, use a small bowl to mix corn starch with a few tablespoons of the hot liquid in your slow cooker. Transfer roast to a separate plate and pour corn starch mixture into your crockpot. Stir to combine. Return roast to slow cooker, cover, and allow to cook for an additional 30 minutes or so.
Like many slow cooker beef recipes, this is truly a one-pot meal. Just shred beef and serve! A cold, crisp garden salad is the perfect way to round it out. As is a nice crusty loaf of bread.
This classic beef pot roast is also great served with egg noodles, mashed cauliflower, or rice. I love to pour the beef broth created by this dish over homemade mashed potatoes!
This easy slow cooker meal makes wonderful leftovers!! Store leftovers in individual serving sizes for perfect reheat-and-eat future meals. Using airtight containers or bags will help keep the dish fresh. It will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator and up to 6 months in the freezer.
😉Hints & hacks
- I am not a wine expert, but I tend to use a cabernet sauvignon for this recipe. It adds so much flavor.
- If you prefer not to include wine, you can substitute it with an additional cup of beef broth
- Many recipes state that you should sear your roast prior to adding it to your slow cooker. I am way too lazy. My dish skips that step and it is delicious!
- This great recipe is even lazier when there is not much clean-up. Using a slow cooker liner is the easiest way to avoid having to clean up a big mess.
- Looking for the perfect crockpot for this slow cooker pot roast? I love mine!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Yankee Pot Roast Recipe
- Knife and cutting board
- 3-4 lb roast chuck or round roast would both work here (see notes below)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1.5 lbs baby potatoes
- 2 onions sliced or chopped
- 2 large carrots cut into 1" coins
- 2 large celery stalks cut into 1" pieces
- 2 parsnips cut into 1" chunks
- 2 turnips cut into 1" chunks
- 1.4 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 sprigs fresh Rosemary alt: 1 teaspoon dried Rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme alt: 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp corn starch optional
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Add all veggies and potatoes to slow cooker1.5 lbs baby potatoes, 2 onions, 2 large carrots, 2 large celery stalks, 2 parsnips, 2 turnips
- Place roast in slow cooker3-4 lb roast
- Add all remaining ingredients other than corn starch and fresh herbs (if using)1 cup beef broth, 1 cup red wine, 1.4 oz can stewed tomatoes, 2 tablespoon garlic, 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Lay fresh herbs on top of slow cooker ingredients (or spinkle dried herbs on top)2 sprigs fresh Rosemary, 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Cover and cook on low 10 or so hours until beef is falling apart tender
- If using fresh herbs, carefully remove them prior to serving.
- If you would like to thicken liquids into more of a gravy, remove beef from your slow cooker. Use a small bowl to mix corn starch with a few tablespoons of the hot liquid in your slow cooker. Pour this mixture back into slow cooker. Return beef to slow cooker, cover, and allow to cook for another 30 minutes or so to thicken3 tablespoon corn starch
- Use salt and black pepper to taste, if neededsalt and black pepper
Check out my latest on Instagram
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
I'M IN!! SIGN ME UP FOR OCCASIONAL EMAILS FROM THE LAZY SLOW COOKER!
Leave a Reply