Slow cooker baba ghanoush is a super easy way to make a delicious homemade version of this Middle Eastern specialty. A healthy and wonderful dip made from fresh eggplant.
When I dip - you dip - we dip! Everyone loves to dip and this easy, healthy and down right delicious dip makes dipping even more fun.
This recipe happened because I had leftover eggplant the last time I made slow cooker eggplant casserole. Rather than waste it, I decided to see if it was possible to use a crock pot to make baba ghanoush. So happy to share that it is - and it is worth making on repeat!
To make this easy baba ganoush you will need:
- Eggplant - one medium eggplant, peeled and cut into cubes
- Tahini - If you aren't familiar with tahini, it is a paste made out of crushed sesame seeds (it has almost a peanut butter-like consistency)
- Lemon Juice - fresh squeezed or pure lemon juice (not from concentrate) both work well
- Garlic - minced
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Sea Salt - This helps to provide the traditional smoky flavor
- Smoked Paprika - This is optional but makes a great topping for serving
- Olive Oil - also optional and used just for serving
See recipe card for quantities.
Start by peeling your eggplant and cutting it into cubes.
When cooking with eggplant you will generally want to try to draw some of the excess water out. To do this, place the cut eggplant in a colander over the sink and sprinkle salt liberally all over it. After 30 minutes or so, wipe off the salt and any excess water with a paper towel.
Next, place all of your ingredients into your slow cooker, stir together cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours. When all the eggplant pieces are soft enough to easily smoosh with a fork, use an immersion blender, right in your slow cooker, to turn into a paste/dip consistency.
Hint: Although I am a huge fan of slow cooker liners, I recommend against using them for this recipe. It is very easy to get the blade of your immersion blender caught on a liner wrinkle and ruin the entire dish.
Homemade baba ghanoush is great served with some extra virgin olive oil and smoked paprika sprinkled on top. Another great topping is a sprinkle of pine nuts. This dip is wonderful served alongside hummus, tzatziki, olive tapenade and/or some feta cheese.
Fresh pita bread, pita chips, crackers, carrots and celery are perfect for scooping up a big mouthful!
Leftovers store well in airtight containers. You can keep them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for several month. Frozen baba ganoush will be delicious, but may separate some while frozen. Just be sure to fully mix after defrosting.
😉Hints & hacks
- Do you love spice? Turn this dish up a bit by adding some crushed red pepper flakes
- Be sure to use a non-stick spray in your slow cooker prior to adding in your ingredients. This will allow for much easier cleanup.
- This makes a great, multi-cultural addition to any charcuterie!
- Looking to introduce this dish to kids? Try serving it with some potato chips or pretzel sticks for dipping.
More slow cooker appetizers
Without an immersion blender you have two choices. You can either scoop the cooked ingredients into a regular blender OR you can hand mash really well with a fork or potato masher.
This dish is traditionally served cold. However, there is no law against eating is warm - it is delicious that way too!
Lazy Slow Cooker Baba Ghanoush
- 3 quart slow cooker or larger
- measuring spoons
- strainer or paper towels
- immersion blender
- non-stick spray of choice
- 1 med. eggplant
- 3 tablespoon tahini
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked sea salt
- pinch smoked paprika optional
- olive oil optional
- peel eggplant and cut into small cubes
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spraynon-stick spray of choice
- place eggplant cubes in a strainer or on top of paper towels. sprinkle liberally with salt and set aside for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- after sitting time, wipe excess salt and moisture off of eggplant pieces.
- add eggplant, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder and smoked sea salt to slow cooker1 med. eggplant, 3 tablespoon tahini, 3 tablespoon lemon juice, 1½ teaspoon minced garlic, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon smoked sea salt
- stir, cover and cook on low for 4 hours
- Once eggplant is soft, use immersion blender to fully combine/process all ingredients into paste.
- to serve, place baba ghanoush in a shallow bowl. swirl some olive oil on top and sprinkle top with smoked paprika
- serve with pita, crackers or veggie sticks for dipping,
Check out our latest on Instagram
Have you tried this dish? We would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below!