Turn fresh apples into the most amazing caramel apple pie filling using your slow cooker! This simple recipe is the perfect, fuss-free way to make this sweet, gooey, incredible treat. Just add in the ingredients and let your slow cooker do the rest.
I think we can all agree that apple pie is the perfect fall dessert. Actually, it is the perfect dessert any time of year. But, when apple season rolls around, it goes up a notch!
To make this homemade apple pie filling recipe, you will need:
- apples - peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
- lemon juice - adds flavor and keeps your freshly cut apples from turning brown
- brown sugar - for added sweetness and a caramel flavor
- all-purpose flour - this helps to thicken the sauce
- ground cinnamon and nutmeg - because you can't make apple pie without these warm spices!
- salt - to enhance the flavor
- pure vanilla extract - to aid in creating the perfect caramel flavor
- butter - for creaminess
- heavy cream - to pull all the other ingredients together into a creamy caramel sauce
Preparing your slow cooker
Prepare your slow cooker by coating it in a non-stick agent. Any nonstick cooking spray or oil will work
NOTE: some slow cooker inserts come with a nonstick surface. Use of a non-stick agent is still suggested. However, oil is sometimes recommended in place of spray to protect the longevity of the non-stick surface. Check the manual for your slow cooker if you have any concerns.
Alternatively, you can choose to use a slow cooker liner.
Kind of apples to use
If you search the internet, you will find tons of information regarding which apples are best for apple pie. My rule of thumb has always been to use the ones you like best.
Crisp apples and those with a tart flavor are my favorite, so that is what I use. The apples used in the pictures here are honeycrisp. They are delicious, but can be expensive. Granny smith apples are also amazing in this easy apple pie filling recipe.
Assembling your dish
Start by adding your cut apple pieces into your crock pot. Pour in lemon juice and stir to coat the apples. This will stop them from turning brown before the cooking starts.
Next add in sugar, flour and all seasonings. Stir apples again so that they are fully coated. Place the stick of butter on top of the apples, cover and turn your crockpot to the high setting.
Let your slow cooker apple pie filling cook on high for about 90 minutes. Meanwhile, allow your cream to come to room temperature.
After the cooking time, stir in cream. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes or until apple pieces reach your desired texture. Your homemade pie filling is now ready to serve.
This incredible dessert recipe is of course wonderful baked in a pie. I am lazy (obv!) so I use a premade, store-bought crust to make perfect apple pie.
However, if you want to be even lazier, who needs crust?? Our favorite thing is to eat this easy dessert warm with a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. If vanilla isn't your personal preference, chocolate chip, chocolate, and cinnamon ice cream are all great choices as well!
I also love to air fry some tortilla triangles that have been brushed with oil and sprinkled with cinnamon. We use these chips to scoop up mouthfuls of warm homemade pie filling for an extraordinary dessert treat!
This easy recipe is also incredible spooned over sponge cake, angel food cake, or even warm cinnamon rolls! It is also great over french toast, pancakes and waffles. You can also ues it to top off oatmeal, cream of wheat, and yogurt!
Next time I make this pie filling recipe, I plan to use it to make a slow cooker apple dump cake.
- Pure vanilla extract always has the best results, but imitation can be used in it's place
- One cup white sugar and one tablespoon molasses can be used in place of the brown sugar
- One cup of coconut cream can be used in place of heavy cream
Store leftovers in mason jars or any other airtight container or bag. They will stay fresh for about one week.
Your amazing apple sweet treat can be stored in the freezer for several months as well. Just allow it to fully defrost in the refrigerator before serving.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
😉Hints & hacks
- If you live near an apple orchard - go apple picking! It is a fun and educational way to spend some quality time outdoors. And- this recipe is even better (somehow) when you pick the apples yourself!
- If you have an abundance of fresh apples, slow cooker apple butter and apple and honey pull-aparts are also great apple recipes.
- Homemade apple pie filling makes great gifts! I like to fill small mason jars with it and tie them up with ribbon. Nothing is better than a homemade gift made with love!
- I am generally a big fan of slow cooker liners. They make this dish even easier by eliminating much of the clean up.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
- Always check to confirm that your slow cooker has been plugged in and properly turned on!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Pie Filling
- 6-7 apples peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- grease slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray or oil
- place cored, peeled apples into slow cooker as you cut them
- add 2 tablespoon lemon juice to apples as soon as they are cut and toss to coat
- add 1 cup brown sugar, ¼ cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg and stir to combine
- top with ¼ cup butter. cover and cook on high for 1½ hours
- allow ¼ cup heavy cream to come to room temperature. Add it to apple mixture and continue to cook on high for an additional 30 minutes, or until apples become soft
- allow to cool and use in pie crust. or...eat it warm topped with vanilla ice cream!!