Slow cooker tomato and feta soup marries all the goodness of garden fresh tomatoes and briney, creamy feta cheese. This creamy, dreamy soup is cooked low and slow in the crockpot making it the best dish to come home to after a busy day!
A bowl of creamy tomato soup is my idea of comfort food! Add in the delicious flavor of feta cheese and you have one great recipe. Similar to the slow cooker version of the tik tok famous baked feta pasta, this soup is bursting with amazing flavor.
To make this homemade tomato soup you will need these simple ingredients:
- cherry tomatoes - grape tomatoes work too
- block of feta cheese - full fat, sheep's milk feta is best. I love a good Israeli or Greek feta for this soup
- green onions
- goat cheese - adds extra flavor and creaminess
- tomato paste
- minced garlic - I use the pre-minced jarred kind in this recipe
- Italian seasoning
- dried basil
- black pepper - freshly ground, if possible
- vegetable broth
- salt - to taste if needed
- sliced fresh basil and crumbled feta - optional for garnish, but adding chunks of crumbled feta is heavenly!
This great recipe just involves a few simple steps:
Preparing your slow cooker
Prepare your slow cooker by coating it with a non-stick agent. Any nonstick cooking spray or oil will work. Olive oil and avocado oil are my go-to coatings.
NOTE: some slow cooker inserts come with a nonstick surface. Use of a non-stick agent is still suggested. However, oil is sometimes recommended rather than spray to protect the longevity of the non-stick surface. Check the manual for your slow cooker if you have any concerns.
This is the ultimate dump-and-go soup! Just add all ingredients, other than garnishes, directly into your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours). Soup is ready for the next step when the tomatoes easily "pop" when pressed with the back of a spoon.
Use an immersion blender to fully blend all the ingredients in your slow cooker into a rich, creamy tomato soup. When fully blended, it should have a consistency that is just a little thinner than tomato sauce.
The first time you try this recipe, I suggest blending it for longer than you think you need to. The goal is to make sure you grind all the skin and tomato seeds as fully as possible.
NOTE: Be very careful when using an immersion blender, soup can splatter and will burn your skin. Even though slow cookers don't get as hot as the stove top, your soup will still be HOT!
The best way to serve this amazing soup is topped with some freshly chopped basil and chunks of feta cheese.
As is the case with every tomato soup recipe, this soup pairs perfectly with a grilled cheese sandwich. Chicken salad and turkey salad sandwiches are also great pairings. As is some crusty French bread!
If you aren't a fan of goat cheese, feel free to leave it out and add in a little extra feta. Ricotta cheese and even parmesan cheese would both make for delicious cheese variations of this soup. Both would change the overall flavor of the soup, but would be differently delicious.
Cherry tomatoes are the sweetest and easiest to find year round. I am a huge fan of grape tomatoes so they are my personal first choice for this great soup. Canned tomatoes are also wonderful in this tomato feta soup recipe.
If you don't have an immersion blender, a counter top blender or food processor can be used. Just be very careful when transferring the contents of your slow cooker. They will be VERY HOT.
If you are a fan of spice, chili flakes or red pepper flakes can be added to kick things up a notch.
To make this soup even creamier, cream cheese can be added in along with the feta cheese. Alternatively, heavy cream can be added to your tomato soup at the end of the cooking time. Both of these ingredients would add a delicious creaminess to your soup, but they will dramatically change the flavor as well.
For best results, allow leftover soup to cool before transferring to an airtight container. Containers of soup can be refrigerated for 3-4 days or frozen for up to 4 months.
Allow frozen soup to come to room temperature in the refrigerator prior to reheating
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
😉Hints & hacks
- This slow cooker tomato soup recipe is perfect for days when your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to the warm setting. Everyone can have a warm and filling dish, no matter what time they are ready to eat.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
- Although I am generally a big fan of slow cooker liners, I do not recommend using them for recipes involving an immersion blender.
- The perfect way to store leftovers of this slow cooker recipe is in individual serving-sized containers. This makes for easy grab-and-go future meals.
- Always double check to make sure your slow cooker is on and plugged in!!! Coming home to a cold slow cooker is the worst!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Tomato And Feta Soup Recipe
- 4 quart slow cooker or larger
- measuring cups and spoons
- Knife and cutting board
- Mixing Spoon
- 25 oz grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz feta cheese full fat, sheep's milk feta is best
- 3 green onions sliced
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic I use the pre-minced jarred kind
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or more to taste
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- sliced fresh basil and crumbled feta optional garnish
- spray or grease slow cooker for easiest clean up
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker25 oz grape tomatoes, 8 oz feta cheese, 3 green onions, 4 oz goat cheese, 6 oz tomato paste, 2 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon dried basil, ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 6 cups vegetable broth, salt
- cook on low for 6-8 hours or until tomatoes are soft and fully wilted
- Use an immersion blender to fully combine all ingredients
- add more salt and pepper to taste