Slow cooker chicken and bok choy is an easy and delicious Asian-inspired meal. Juicy chicken slow cooked to perfection in a sweet, savory sauce with the bite of bok choy and leeks.
If you are getting sick of the same old chicken slow cooker recipes, this one's for you. This healthy dinner recipe is super easy to make and it's a perfect change of pace
To make this easy family dinner you will need these simple ingredients:
- hoisin sauce
- rice wine
- soy sauce* - I use low-sodium soy sauce
- ginger - paste or minced fresh ginger
- chicken breasts*
- leeks - white and light green part, thinly sliced
- medium size fresh bok choy* - cut into smaller pieces, width-wise.
- sticky rice - for serving
- sliced green onions and sesame seeds - garnish
- non-stick cooking spray
Start by spraying your crock pot with a non-stick cooking spray. Add hoisin, rice wine, soy sauce, honey, ginger and leeks to your slow cooker and stir to combine.
Place chicken pieces into slow cooker and as submerge (as much as possible) in sauce. Cover and cook on the low setting for 3-4 hours or until chicken reaches and internal temperature of 165℉.
Once cook time is complete, use a slotted spoon to remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and mix with sauce to fully incorporate. Turn slow cooker to warm until ready to serve.
5-10 minutes prior to serving, turn your slow cooker to high heat. Add bok choy on top of the chicken and stir to combine (as best you can). Your crockpot may be very full and that is ok. The bok choy will shrink as it cooks.
Cover slow cooker and cook until bok choy is wilted. Once wilted (this should take just 5 minutes or so), your chicken is ready to serve!
This is one of those easy recipes that can be served a ton of different ways. Serving over white rice, brown rice, or ramen noodles are delicious options. They will soak up all of the delicious sauce for add yum!
Serve in crunchy lettuce wraps or on top of cauliflower rice for a healthy twist. Wrap in rice paper for a different hand held treat. Or, serve stuffed into halved red peppers for some extra crunch.
- Soy sauce may be swapped with coconut aminos.
- If you prefer, baby bok choy may be used. You will need 3 -4 heads of baby bok choy for this recipe.
- If you can't find fresh bok choy in your regular produce store, Asian markets usually carry them.
- Want more veggies? Add snow peas and/or shiitake mushrooms in with the chicken at the start of cooking time.
- Chicken thighs can be substituted for breasts. You can use skinless, boneless or bone-in chicken thighs.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
Store leftovers in airtight containers or bags. They will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or 3-4 months in the freezer.
😉Hints & hacks
- Leeks can be very sandy and dirty. I watched a great video explaining how to cut them before I tried it for the first time.
- All slow cookers are different and may have a slightly different cook time. The first time you make this dish note how long it takes for your chicken to reach 165℉. This will make your timing easier to gauge the next time.
- Store leftovers in individual serving-sized containers for easy grab and go future meals on a busy day.
- This is one of the best slow cooker recipes to use with a slow cooker liner. If you use a liner, you can skip spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- In the market for a slow cooker? I love mine!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small amount from qualifying purchases and affiliate links at no additional cost to you.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Bok Choy Recipe
- Knife and cutting board
- non-stick cooking spray
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste or minced fresh ginger
- 1½ lbs chicken breast
- 3 leeks white and light green parts cut into half moons
- 1 medium bok choy cut into stips width-wise.
- sticky rice for serving
- sliced green onion and sesame seeds garnish
- spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray
- add all sauce ingredients with leeks to slow cooker and stir¼ cup hoisin sauce, ¼ cup rice wine, 3 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoon honey, 1 tablespoon ginger paste, 3 leeks
- add chicken breasts into slow cooker and cover with sauce as much as possible1½ lbs chicken breast
- cover and cook on low for 3-5 hours or until chicken reaches and internal temperature of 165°F
- remove chicken from slow cooker and shred
- return shredded chicken to slow cooker along with bok choy, stir to combine, cover and cook on high
- once bok choy has wilted (5 minutes or so) your dish is ready to serve
- serve on a bed of white, sticky rice with sliced green onion and sesame seeds sprinkled on top.