Crockpot tortilla lasagna is a delicious and easy meal that everyone at your table will love! Layers of tortilla, ground beef, corn, refried beans and cheese make this a delicious meal that you will add to your regular dinner rotation.
Anyone out there love Mexican food? How about Italian? If the answer is yes, you are going to love this mashup of the two! Add in your slow cooker and you have an easy meal that will please not only those who will eat it, but also the one who will be making it – you! . This cheesy, beefy, layered creation has all the makings of a favorite dish that will be requested over and over by the regulars at your dinner table.
What is Tortilla Lasagna?
What happens when you cross lasagna with a stuffed soft shell taco? This!! Tortilla Lasagna is a layered concoction. Similar to traditional lasagna, it contains ground beef, cheese and sauce. However the distinctly Mexican flavors of taco and enchilada make it a fully different and amazing culinary experience.
How To Make Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna
To make this amazingly easy dish, you will need:
- Corn tortillas
- Browned ground beef
- Diced tomato (canned)
- Taco seasoning
- chopped onion
- minced garlic
- refried beans
- enchilada sauce
- shredded cheese
- chopped green onion or cilantro
To start this dish you will first need to cook the ground beef. This can be done two ways. You can cook it stove top or, if you are ultra lazy like me, you can cook it right in your slow cooker. To keep things as easy as possible, I use my crockpot to brown large quantities of ground beef and/or turkey at a time (I do not have a slow cooker with a browning setting). I then freeze the cooked meats in meal sized containers for use in future recipes. Click here to see how I do it. Either way, be sure to drain off the fat prior to using it in your recipe.
After your ground beef is browned and drained, place it in a mixing bowl and add onion, garic, undrained diced tomato and taco seasoning. Stir thoroughly to mix and set aside.
Building The Lasagna
Once your ground beef is ready to go, it is time to build the dish in your crockpot. Start by using a mixing bowl to mix the ground beef with the onion, garlic, taco seasonings and canned tomato (including all all juice). Spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of your slow cooker. Place a layer of corn tortilla in your slow cooker next. Spread a layer of refried beans on top of your tortillas and then top those beans with half of your meat mixture. Spread half of your tortilla sauce over top of the meat mixture. Add in a corn layer next, followed by a thick layer of shredded cheese. Then start over again with a tortilla layer.
By the time you are finished, each item will have been layered in two times. Be sure to top with a nice, thick layer of shredded cheese! Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, until everything is fully heated through and all your cheese is gooey and melted.
How To Serve This Easy Recipe
This thick, rich and satisfying dish can really be a whole meal by itself. It is great topped with sour cream, guacamole and/or some delicious, fresh and crips salsa. It is also delicious with a small sprinkling of some freshly chopped green onions or cilantro. Are you a fan of spice? If so, a little hot sauce will be a great addition. A small side salad or dish of rice are nice accompaniments. It also happens to go really nicely with a freshly made margarita!
Enchilada Lasagna Hints & Hacks
- If your slow cooker cooks unevenly (as some of mine do) lifting your slow cooker pot out of the heating element and rotating it 180 degrees before replacing it will help to even things out. I try to do this about half way through the cooking time. Just beware that the pot will be HOT! Pot holders are a must!
- Leftovers reheat really well in the oven or microwave (but it is also delicious cold!!).
- I am a huge fan of slow cooker liners and usually recommend them for everything. However, for this type of dish, parchment paper is even better. Here is the kind I use.
- Whether you choose to line your slow cooker or not, non-stick spray is a helpful step.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? Here is the one I am currently lusting after.
HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING (optional)
- chili powder – 4 tbsp
- cumin – 1.5 tbsp
- paprika – 1.5 tsp
- garlic powder – 1 tsp
- onion powder – 1 tsp
- sea salt – 1 tsp
- pepper – 1 tsp
- dried ground cilantro – 1 tsp
- optional: crushed red pepper flakes to taste (This is relatively mild recipe. If like it hot, here is your chance to turn it up!).
Lazy Slow Cooker Tortilla Lasagna
- 4 quart or larger slow cooker (works really well in a casserole crockpot!)
- measuring spoons and cups
- mixing bowl and spoon
- slow cooker liner or parchment paper (optional)
- 1½ – 2 lbs browned ground beef
- 16 oz refried beans
- 15.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz corn (drained if from can)
- 10+ oz red enchilada sauce
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- 2+ cups shredded cheese (Mexican blend works well)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1½ tbsp taco seasoning (pre-made or homemade both work) see below for homemade seasoning instructions
- chopped green onion or cilantro for topping
- place slow cooker liner or parchment paper into slow cooker, if using
- In a mixing bowl, mix together ground beef, diced tomato (along with liquid from can) onion, garlic and taco seasoning and set aside.
- spread a few spoonfuls of enchilada sauce around bottom of crockpot
- layer tortillas in pot to cover sauce
- spread half of refried beans over top tortillas
- add half of meat mixture on top of beans – spread evenly throughout pot
- spoon half of your enchilada sauce over top of the meal layer
- layer half of the corn on top of the meat mixture
- layer at least 1 cups shredded cheese on top of the corn to cover
- add another layer of tortilla on top of the cheese and then repeat all other layering steps ending with a thick layer of cheese on top
- cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until lasagne is hot all the way through and all cheese is melted
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tbsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
More Great Ground Beef Crockpot Meals
- Classic Chili
- Sloppy Taco Sandwiches
- Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf
Check Out Our Facebook Page For More Slow Cooker Recipes!!
If you try this recipe, please let me know in the comments below! I’d love to hear your thoughts!