This slow cooker black bean soup is a warm, filling, hearty one-pot meal. It is a vegan dish that is filled with protein, fiber, and flavor.
Some crock pot recipes are just naturally super easy. This one falls squarely into that category. It is simple, inexpensive, and delicious.
I have noticed that there is a lot of misinformation and mistrust of dry beans. This easy slow cooker recipe takes out all the mystery.
No pre-soaking is needed here. Your beans will soften and cook at the same time. No cans of black beans involved!
This healthy slow cooker recipe is filled with dietary fiber and flavor. It is a vegetarian soup with a creamy texture that the whole family will love. Its longer cooking time makes it a great option for a long day spent out of the house.
To make this easy black bean soup recipe you will need :
- Dried black beans
- Yellow onion
- Garlic - minced fresh garlic cloves
- Apple cider vinegar
- Diced tomatoes - canned, with all liquid
- Chili powder
- Adobo sauce - I use the sauce from a can of sauce that has chipotle peppers in it
- Vegetable broth
- Bay leaf
- Salt & pepper - to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Tortilla chips
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- Fresh cilantro
- Green onions - sliced
🔪How to make hearty black bean soup
To start making this comforting soup, spay your slow cooker with a non-stick spray. This will help with easier cleanup later. Next, rinse your beans in a strainer over the sink and remove any pebbles or foreign objects.
Place dried, rinsed beans into your slow cooker. Add in all spices, vegetables, tomatoes, and broth then stir to combine. Place bay leaves on top. Cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours.
When beans can be easily squashed between your thumb and forefinger, you are ready for the next step. Use an immersion blender to fully blend tender beans with the other ingredients until desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Your easy soup is now ready to serve!
This is one of the best slow cooker recipes because it is so much fun to garnish! Some fresh, chopped cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice are my favorite toppings. Sliced green onions are also great on top along with some crushed tortilla chips.
But don't stop the customization there! If you like spicy flavor, stir in some red pepper flakes or chopped chipotle peppers and top with jalapeno slices. It is such a thick soup that it is just perfect served in scooped-out crusty bread bowls.
White rice, cauliflower rice, quinoa, and refried beans all make great side dishes. A fresh garden salad is the perfect go-with as is tortilla lasagna.
This delicious meal can be stored in an airtight container or zip top bag. It will last 4-5 days in the refrigerator and 4-5 months in the freezer. I love storing in meal-sized portions for easy grab-and-go lunches.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
Advanced meal prep instructions
Creamy black bean soup is a great dish to prep in advance. Mix all ingredients other than broth and bay leaves in a zipper top bag and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, dump bean/spice/veggie mixture to your slow cooker, add in broth, and top with bay leaves.
😉Hint & hacks
- Don't have an immersion blender? A food processor or countertop blender would work just as well. Just be extra careful when moving hot soup ingredients to a new appliance.
- Do you prefer your soup a little more chunky? Only blend half of the beans. Or, use a potato masher to hand blend rather than an electric device.
- Onions celery and carrots are generally available to be purchased already cut up. They can be found in both the fresh and frozen sections of your local grocery store. Using pre-cut vegetables makes this recipe extra lazy😏.
- This is a great dish if your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to warm. Everyone can have a hot and filling meal, no matter what time of the evening they are ready to eat.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Lazy Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
- 6 qt slow cooker
- non-stick cooking spray of choice
- 1 lb black beans dried, not soaked
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes flavored with garlic and onion, if possible
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon adobe sauce taken from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 6 cups vegetable broth chicken broth can also be used
- 2-3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse beans and remove any stones or foreign particles1 lb black beans
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray
- Add dried, rinsed beans to slow cooker
- Add in all spices, vegetables, tomatoes and broth to beans in slow cooker1 small onion, 2 carrots, 2 stalks celery, 14 oz can diced tomatoes, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon coriander, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon adobe sauce, 6 cups vegetable broth
- Place bay leaves on top, cover and cook 8-10 hours on low2-3 bay leaves
- Soup is ready to serve when you can easily smash a bean between your fingers
- Use an immersion blender to blend the cooked ingredients in your slow cooker. You can choose to fully blend it all until smooth or to blend parts of it and leave some bigger pieces.
- Taste and add salt or pepper to your liking
Check out my latest on Instagram
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
I'M IN!! SIGN ME UP FOR OCCASIONAL EMAILS FROM THE LAZY SLOW COOKER!
Leave a Reply