This slow cooker Mexican casserole with quinoa is a delicious meal filled with amazing flavors and textures. Veggies, quinoa, and yummy Mexican spices make this a healthy dish you will want to serve on repeat.
If you love Mexican food, you have come to the right place! We can not seem to get enough of it at my house. It's a good thing that there are so many Mexican-inspired dishes that are great for busy weeknights.
To make this healthy dinner you will need:
- Black beans - canned
- Corn - frozen or canned
- Diced tomatoes - canned
- Chopped green chilies - canned, hot or mild
- Taco seasoning - prepared or homemade (see recipe card below for recipe)
- Vegetable broth
This crockpot Mexican casserole recipe is a perfect example. It is my favorite way to make sure everyone gets lots of veggies, protein, and fiber on their plates. It is filled with the Mexican flavors we all love but requires very few minutes of prep. Like Quinoa Stuffing, it is my idea of a perfect meal!
I absolutely love making quinoa in my crock pot! It is easy and requires no babysitting whatsoever. Any dish with quinoa is a perfect weeknight dinner for this reason.
To put it simply: this Tex Mex quinoa is good stuff!
Start by rinsing your uncooked quinoa over the sink. . Quinoa grows a naturally bitter coating to help it repel bugs and other predators. Rinsing will help remove any leftover bitterness. You want to rinse until the water runs clear.
Next, rinse and drain the black beans. Then, spray your slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray before adding any ingredients. This will make your cleanup easier no matter what you are cooking.
Add all ingredients into your slow cooker - adding the broth last. Stir, cover, and cook! It's as simple as that!
quinoa ingredients prior to adding broth and cooking
Your slow cooker quinoa enchilada casserole is ready to eat when the quinoa is cooked through. You will know your quinoa is ready to go when the grains pop open and you can see the germ. They will look almost like little tiny bean sprouts.
NOTE: Quinoa will get mushy if it sits in your slow cooker too long. Some people like it on the mushy side, others don't - personal preference. If you don't, plan to remove it from the heat promptly once is it cooked.
This is what finished quinoa should look like.
This healthy slow cooker recipe is delicious served so many ways! To get it ready to serve, try adding some optional toppings. These can include fresh lime juice, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, sour cream, or plain greek yogurt. Shredded Mexican blend cheese or crumbled cotija cheese and some fresh avocado slices are favorite toppings as well.
The whole family will love to scoop this delicious recipe up by the mouthful using tortilla chips. It is an awesome filling for quinoa tacos or burritos and it makes a wonderful topping for sweet potatoes. You can also use it to stuff hollowed-out bell peppers.
- Pinto beans or kidney beans can be used in place of black beans based on your preference.
- Would you prefer that your Mexican quinoa recipe be spicy? Use hot green chiles when cooking and add some hot sauce when serving. You can also mix in some spicy enchilada sauce.
- Chicken broth can be used in place of veggie broth if you prefer.
Leftovers of this easy meal should be stored in an airtight container or zip-top bag. It will last up to 7 days in the fridge and 3-4 months frozen.
Another great option is to store in individual serving-size containers. This makes for great grab-and-go meals the next day.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
😉Hints & hacks
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price.
- This is one of those vegetarian recipes the entire family will love. It is a healthy meal that is perfect for meatless Mondays.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
- Don't forget to plug in your crockpot before you walk away! 😏
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Mexican Casserole with Quinoa Recipe
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing spoons
- fine mesh strainer
- slow cooker liner optional
- non-stick cooking spray
- 2 cups quinoa
- 15 oz can black beans
- 1.5 cups corn frozen or canned
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes with all juices
- 4.5 oz can green chilies chopped
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning See below for homemade taco seasoning ingredients
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- Rinse quinoa over sink with cold water in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear2 cups quinoa
- Rinse and drain canned beans15 oz can black beans
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray
- Add all ingredients into slow cooker with the broth going in last and stir to combine.15 oz can black beans, 1.5 cups corn, 15 oz can diced tomatoes, 4.5 oz can green chilies, 1 cup onion, 1 cup salsa, 2 tablespoon taco seasoning, 1 tablespoon garlic, 5 cups vegetable broth, 2 cups quinoa
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours or until the quinoa is fully cooked through
- Serve in bowls, tacos, or tortillas and enjoy!
- 4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1.5 tablespoon cumin
- 1.5 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro