Slow cooker meatloaf is a delicious and easy set-it-and-forget it meal that you will want to make on repeat! Everyone will love this tender and flavorful take on an old classic!
Many people consider meatloaf the ultimate comfort food. My feelings towards it are a little more complex. I guess you could say I was over-exposed as a child.
For many of my childhood years, meatloaf was my father's favorite dinner. There was a time period when it was on the table almost daily. It is shocking that I don't need loaf therapy just to be in the same room with it!
To cope with my loaf overdose, I chose one of my favorite skills: avoidance. I just refused to make it. Upon discovering how slow-cooker friendly it is, I reconsidered. The time had come for me to swallow hard and look beyond myself. My reward: my carnivores devoured it and asked for more!
How To Make The Best Meatloaf
There is no question that this meatloaf recipe qualifies as lazy! The hardest part may be mixing the ingredients. A job I wholeheartedly recommend doing with your hands. Positive unanticipated benefit: meatloaf prep can almost qualify as a workout. My upper arms actually can get a little sore after mixing a big batch! Ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, ketchup, onion, and a little salt and pepper are all it takes to make a perfectly simple meatloaf.
Hacks and Hints for Meatloaf In A Slow Cooker
- I am not a fan of touching raw meat. To help keep things sterile, I use gloves that are approved for food handling (these are my favorites).
- Even if you use a slow cooker liner, I suggest spraying with oil or some sort of non-stick spray to help with removal when serving.
- My slow cooker tends to cook a little unevenly. Items like this that can not be stirred midway through the cooking process can get much more well done, along the edges. To help even things out a bit, I start this loaf off about ½" away from the edges of the pot.
- The key to this dish is using a lower fat content ground beef. 90% lean or leaner is best. This will allow you to avoid a greasy final product.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 lbs ground beef I suggest 90% lean or leaner.
- ½ cup chopped onion I take frozen, chopped onion and give it a whir in a Nutri-Bullet. This gives onion flavor without any big onion pieces.
- 3 eggs
- 1 + ⅔ cups ketchup
- 1.5 cups Italian bread Crumbs
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- Place ground beef, eggs, onion, 1 cup ketchup, bread crumbs, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Mix thoroughly. I like to use my hands for this and I always use gloves (see link above). If using bare hands, make sure to practice safe meat handles guidelines and to wash you hands well both before and after.
- Place meat mixture into pot and form into a loaf that is the shape of your slow cooker. I try to keep my loaf about ½" away from the edges of the pot to aid with even cooking (see note above).
- Drizzle remaining ⅔ cup ketchup (or more) over top of the meatloaf.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
More Lazy Ground Beef Recipes:
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Bean Free Chili
- Browning ground beef in a slow cooker