The Easiest Way to Make Bean Free ChiliJump to Recipe
why was this delicious, easy, slow-cooked bean-free, chili born? Well....there were two reasons:
First, I don't like red wine. Something about the fact that it is not served super cold. I am sure my extreme lack of wine education and sophistication don't help. Shopping for wine is more of a chore than a treat. I consider a "good" bottle of red wine one that was on special.
However, no matter what I do, half empty bottles of red wine seem to appear. And you know the old saying: If you can't drink it, cook with it. (If that isn't and old saying...it certainly should be!)
Second, Number Three doesn't like beans. But, the whole team loves chili, so I made it anyway. Years of watching her pick out the beans, eat around the beans or just stir the chili in her bowl started to get to me. So, I decided to try making an easy, slow-cooked bean free chili made with red wine. Two problems solved with one Crock-Pot.
In keeping with my lazy ways, I use previously browned ground beef that was frozen in 2 pound portions. You can see my odd shaped, frozen beef stack in the recipe below. If you want to find out more about those frozen cylinders, click here.
Lots of ground beef, wine infused sauce, a few select veggies and corn kernels make for a chili that is so thick and hearty is you won't miss the beans. (Don't tell Number Three, but the minute she heads off to college, those beans are going right back in where they belong!).
Looking for more bean free chili recipes?
Lazy Bean Free Chili
- 4 qt slow cooker or larger
- optional: slow cooker liner for easy clean up
- 2 lbs browned ground beef see Lazy Browned Beef post
- 1 green pepper chopped
- ½ chopped - onion
- 2 14.5 oz can diced tomato I like to use at least one can of tomatoes with roasted onion and garlic for extra flavor. I addition, I incudle all the juice in the can as well.
- 1 15 oz can plain tomato sauce
- 1 15.25 oz can whole kernel corn drained
- ½ cup red wine not sweet
- ⅔ cup Chili seasoning (which is generally 2 packets of remade chili seasoning, if you prefer not to make your own) see below
- ½ cup chili powder
- ¼ cup cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place 2lbs of Lazy Browned Ground Beef. Mine was made in advance and put into the pot still frozen.
- Add onion, tomato, corn wine and seasoning packet
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours
- To serve as shown, slice the top off of a hearty roll and scoop out the insides to use as a bread bowl.
- mix all ingredients to a bowl and mix will. This will fill an 8oz jar