This easy crockpot chicken soup like a delicious hug in a bowl. Warm filling and wonderful, it cure what ails you!
Sometimes, it's a lot of work to be lazy. The best way to be truly lazy is to be well prepared. For example, keeping a well stocked freezer is the best way to plan a last minute meal requiring minimal effort.
This theory can apply to entertaining as well. We all know there is nothing more annoying than watching everyone else laughing with a glass of wine in their hand while you run around like Cinderella attending to last minute details. But, sitting back with your feet up while your crockpot does all the work - that is next-level lazy!
Family holidays are a perfect example of how I use my desire to be lazy. I cook all large meals in stages leading up to the big day. Cook and freeze, cook and freeze, cook and freeze. A different menu item each day. Since most of our holiday meals start with chicken soup, you can bet that there is always a container or two (or 6!) stored in my freezer way ahead of time. Click here to see my favorite freezer containers
Hot To Make Crockpot Chicken Soup
To make this wonderful soup, you will need the following:
- chicken breasts (other chicken parts work as well)
- fresh dill
- fresh rosemary
- chicken stock
- salt and pepper (optional)
This soup is as easy as adding all your ingredients into you slow cooker and just letting it work it's magic! Yes, really - that's it!
When it comes time to serve, you can decide how much or how little of the veggies and chicken you want to keep in your soup. If you are just looking for broth, you can strain everything else out. I prefer to keep all the veggies and about one quarter the chicken in the soup. I usually pull out the chicken, remove any bones and shred it using two forks. Return some to the soup (and make delicious chicken salad with the rest!).
If you are interested in chicken noodle soup, I would add them about 15-30 minutes prior to serving depending on the type of noodle. Fine egg noodles are great in chicken soup and will only take about 15 minutes. Larger noodles will take longer and soak up more of the broth.
How To Serve This Delicious Soup?
This soup contains so many delicious ingredients that it is really can be a full meal on its own. However, It is great served with a cold, crisp side salad to balance out the temperature and a crusty roll (which is great dipped into the soup). It also goes very well with a cold sandwich such as tuna salad or egg salad. Cracker make a great addition as well!
Easy Slow Cooker Soup Hints and Hacks:
- I am a big fan of slow cooker liners....because, well, I am lazy. I know not everyone agrees and that is fine. But if you do want to use them, these are my favorite (less expensive per liner because I buy in bulk!).
- I always have frozen veggies and frozen chicken breasts tucked in my freezer. This lets me avoid extra trips to the store. I can make lazy soup or any number of other lazy recipes on a moment's notice.
- You don't have to use chicken breasts to make chicken soup! Just about any bone in or boneless pieces of chicken will work. Including bone-in pieces adds some extra flavor, in my opinion.
- I also always keep extra homemade broth on hand in my freezer. It is the perfect starting point for so many other recipes that having it on hand gives always gives me a head start.
- I like to freeze my soup in deli containers. They are the perfect size for quick defrost.
- Looking to make chicken noodle soup? Just add uncooked noodles about 15 - 30 minutes before you plan to serve. I prefer fine egg noodles, they cook through very quickly.
- I use a chicken soup base when I make this recipe. Click here for a great one.
- Although fresh herbs add a great flavor to this soup, dried can be substituted.
Lazy Chicken Soup
- 6 quart slow cooker or larger
- measuring spoons and cups
- slow cooker liner (optional)
- 2 Pieces chicken breast I like the breast, but other chicken parts work as well.
- 2 Carrots Cut in large pieces
- 2 Celery stalks Cut in large pieces
- 2 Turnips Cut in large pieces
- 2 Parnips Cut in large pieces
- 4 - 5 Roasted garlic cloves
- 1 Small Onion chopped
- 1 Sprig Fresh dill
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
- 10 Cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
Check Out Our Facebook Page For More Slow Cooker Recipes!!
Great Slow Cooker Soup Recipes