This delicious crockpot lemon chicken rice soup is a full meal-in-a-bowl. Tender chicken and veggies in a heartly, rice-based stew with a light lemony kick.
Some soups are just that - soup. Warm, inviting and delicious. But other soups are more like stew; thick, hearty and filling. This Greek-inspired chicken, lemon and rice recipe is a perfect example of a stew-like soup.
This recipe falls into the super easy category! The ingredients are basic and easy to find:
- chicken breasts
- frozen or fresh chopped carrots, celery and onion
- dried, ground rosemary
- dried, ground thyme
- bay leaves
- dried, ground sage
- chicken stock
- minced garlic
- fresh pepper
- long grain brown rice
- lemon juice
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
🔪How to Make Easy Lemon Chicken Soup
All ingredients are added to the crockpot at the start of the cooking process except the lemon juice, which is added shortly before serving. The two most labor intensive tasks are shredding the chicken and cutting the veggies. If you want to take your "lazy" up a notch, you can use frozen vegetables which require no cutting at all!
Since this easy chicken soup is has a nice long cooking time, it is a great dish to throw together before heading out to work or an otherwise busy day. Half an hour before serving, remove the chicken to shred it and add juice of one fresh squeezed lemon. Return shredded chicken to the pot, set the table, make a side salad and dinner is ready!
This delicious crock chicken and rice soup is really a full meal on its own. Serve it with some warm, crusty bread.
The rice in the soup will get a bit mushy while cooking. We like it that way! If you prefer that your rice not get as soft when cooking, use 100% wild rice (not a wild rice blend). It will remain much firmer during the slow cooking process.
Crockpot Soup Hints and Hacks:
- There are a lot of different opinions regarding the best way to shred chicken. Some people prefer to use a potato masher while other use the beaters of a handheld mixer. This chicken will be so tender it will be very easy to shred with two forks. Good to keep it simple!
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
- This recipe calls for chopped onion, carrots and celery. The laziest way to accomplish that task is to purchase Mirepoix. Inexpensive bags of it are usually available in the frozen vegetable section of the market.
- This is a great dish if your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to low and everyone can have a warm and filling meal, no matter what time they are ready to eat.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Lazy Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Rice Soup
- 6 quart slow cooker or larger
- measuring spoons or cups
- 2 lg chicken breasts
- 1 12oz package frozen mirepoix (cut carrots, celery and onion) If you prefer to cut fresh: 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, ½ onion
- ½ cup additional chopped onion (frozen or fresh)
- 1½ tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried ground rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup brown long grain rice
- 1½ lemons, juiced
- Place chicken breasts and vegetables in slow cooker vessel
- add rosemary, thyme, sage, garlic, pepper and bay leaves
- add rice
- pour in chicken stock
- cook 6-8 hours on low
- Half an hour prior to serving, remove chicken breasts, shred with two forks and return to pot.
- add lemon juice, stir and allow to cook for another half an hour.