A sloppy taco is a crockpot creation that is part sloppy Joe and part taco. Drippy, gooey and delicious beef filled with that distinctive taco flavoring served in a crusty sub roll and topped with melted cheese!
What Is A Sloppy Taco?
Do you love sloppy Joes? Do you also love the flavor of tacos? If so, you have come to the right place!! This hybrid dish takes all of the wonderful flavors of tacos and marries them with the consistency and serving style of a sloppy Joe sandwich. Great for those days when you just need something different, but don't want to stray too far from the familiar.
How To Make This Taco Hybrid
Sloppy tacos are made from browned ground beef mixed with enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, salsa, garlic and onion powder. That's it! Just mix it all together in your slow cooker, put the lid on top and walk away. At the end of the day, take a big spoon, plunk some of that mixture on a roll and dinner is ready! Easy delicious and fun!
What To Serve With A Taco Sandwich
Bread is an important part of any sandwich. To absorb all of the great sauce that makes up this dish, thick rolls such as a hoagie roll or a kaiser roll work well. Since the meat in this sandwich has a taco flavor, all the toppings you love with your tacos would fit perfectly here. Some suggestions are:
- hot sauce
- jalapeno peppers
- diced green peppers
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
Taco Joe Sandwich Hints And Hacks
- This taco sandwich recipe is great if your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to low and everyone can have a warm and filling meal, no matter what time they are ready to eat.
- The most labor intensive part of this recipe is browning the ground beef. I am so lazy, that I even do that part in my slow cooker prior to starting this chili recipe (this is how I do it).
- Sloppy taco meat freezes really well. I like to freeze leftovers in meal sized containers for easy reheat and eat meals.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. This is, of course, an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price. Here are the liners I buy.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? Here is the one I am currently lusting after.
Lazy Slow Cooker Sloppy Taco Sandwich
- slow cooker (3.5 quart or larger)
- slow cooker liner (optional)
- spoon for stirring
- measuring spoons and cups
- 3 lbs browned ground beef
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 3 tablespoon taco seasoning homemade or store bought both work - see below for homemade instructions
- 16 oz salsa
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- place browned ground beef in slow cooker
- add enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, salsa, garlic and onion powder
- stir and allow to cook on low for 8-10 hours
- Serve on a crusty roll such as a hoagie roll or kaiser roll.
- optional topping suggestions: sour cream, shredded cheese, diced tomato, diced onion, shredded lettuce.
- 4 tablespoon chili powder
- 1.5 tablespoon cumin
- 1.5 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
Great Ground Beef Dishes
Check Out Our Facebook Page For More Slow Cooker Recipes!!
Check out my latest on Instagram