Delicious crockpot chicken tortilla soup is an easy, meal-in-a-bowl. This wonderful dish contains tender shredded chicken, corn, tomatoes and the perfect “south-of-the-border seasoning.
Soup may be the greatest culinary creation of all time. It is fully versatile in that it can be served as an entree, appetizer, or side dish. You can serve it for lunch, dinner, and, in many cultures, breakfast. It is warm, wonderful and can work magic by turning vegetables into an edible item for some veggie haters.
It comes in an endless variety of combinations, and with the tweak of a few spices/ingredients, can adapt to the tastes of every culture. It's like the culinary version of a warm sunny day, it just makes everyone happy!
Some soups are full of things like fat and/or sodium. Others fall into the category of healthy. Lazy chicken tortilla soup is a perfect example of healthy. It contains chicken and vegetables, a healthy combo for sure.
The intense and easily recognizable flavor comes through without the need for extra salt. Healthy, delicious, and easy.... my idea of a diner time home run!
🚀Jump to recipe card for exact quantities and other details
To make this awesome dish you will need:
- chicken (breasts work great)
- chicken broth or stock
- diced tomatoes including the liquid
- canned corn, drained
- 10 oz enchilada sauce
- chopped onion
- chopped green chilies
- chili powder
- chopped cilantro fresh or frozen
🔪How to make it
This recipe is one of those super easy, dump and go dishes that will make you want to hug your slow cooker! Just add all the ingredients, cover, and walk away. Your crockpot will work its magic and turn it into a wonderful meal.
Anytime after the chicken is cooked through, use tongs to remove it so it can be shredded. Shred by using two forks, a potato masher, or even a handheld mixer.
Return shredded chicken back to the crockpot and continue to cook until you are ready to serve.
This soup is a full meal by itself! Delicious, warm, and filling. A fresh lime wedge allows your diners the option to squeeze some fresh, tangy juice into their soup.
Fresh cilantro and some crumbled tortilla chips make for a great topping as does a dollop of sour cream.
A favorite accompaniment for this soup is toasted tortilla strips. Just cut some tortillas into strips, stray with a little olive oil, and toast for a great soup-side treat. A crusty heel of bread also makes for a wonderful sidekick.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
😉Lazy chicken tortilla soup hacks
- With the exception of the chicken and onion, everything in this recipe is made with items you can easily store in your pantry. Since I always have chicken and diced onion stored in my freezer, I consider this an easy, go-to meal that doesn't require a special trip to the store.
- I have made this recipe in both my 4.5 quart round slow cooker and my 6 quart oval slow cooker. It works equally well in both types.
- When making chicken, it is important to always make sure it is cooked to a safe-to-eat internal temperature of 165°. A meat thermometer is the easiest way to confirm that your chicken has reached a safe internal temp.
- I am a big fan of slow cooker liners, they allow for super easy cleanup. But, they are fully optional if you would rather not use them.
- Look for advanced meal prep? This is an ideal dish to set up the night before. Just add everything EXCEPT broth to a slow cooker liner or bowl. Cover tightly or close liner with a twist tie or other bag closure. When you are ready to cook, place everything to your slow cooker, add broth, cover and you are set!
- This soup freezes really well. I like to freeze leftovers in meal-sized portions. This way, I can be flexible with how much I defrost and can easily choose between a quick meal for one or enough for the whole crew.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Lazy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4.5 quart slow cooker or larger. Round or oval
- two forks to shred chicken
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes including the liquid
- 14.5 oz canned corn drained
- 10 oz enchilada sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion I always keep chopped onion on hand in my freezer
- 4.5 oz chopped green chilies I use mild, but if you prefer more heat, you can turn this up.
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup chopped cilantro fresh or frozen
- optional garnishes: tortilla chip crumbles, toasted tortilla strips, avocado slices and/or lime wedge.
- If you are using them, line your slow cooker with a slow cooker liner
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, onion, chilies, cumin, paprika, chili powder and cilantro into slow cooker vessel and stir to mix.
- add chicken to mixture
- cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Any time after chicken is fully cooked through (chicken is considered safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°), remove it from pot and use a fork to shred.
- return shredded chicken to mixture and keep on warm until you are ready to serve.
- serve in bowls with crumbled tortilla chips, avocado slices and or a lime wedge for garnish