This delicious tomato balsamic chicken made in your slow cooker is an easy, hands-free meal. It is a simple crockpot recipe that is full of flavor and can be served a ton of different ways.
This slow cooker chicken recipe is a must-try! It is an easy recipe that is out of this world delicious. The tender chicken together with all the amazing balsamic and tomato flavors is an easy slow cooker winner!
It can be served several different ways so that leftovers are never boring.
To make this balsamic chicken crock pot recipe you will need these basic grocery store items:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts - or boneless skinless chicken thighs
- diced tomatoes - canned tomatoes are easiest and you can use all the liquid too
- tomato paste - add thickness and tons of flavor
- balsamic vinegar - for that classic, tangy flavor
- garlic powder and onion powder - to take the flavor up a notch
- dried basil, rosemary, and thyme - for more intense yumminess
- salt - which can be skipped if you are watching your sodium
- fresh chopped tomatoes, fresh basil, and shredded parmesan - optional garnishes that add so much wonderfulness to this dish!
Exact quantities and detailed instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
🔪How to make it
Prepare your slow cooker
Prepare your slow cooker by coating it in a non-stick agent of some sort. You can use a nonstick cooking spray or oil of choice.
NOTE: Some slow cookers come with a nonstick surface. They often still recommend using a nonstick agent but suggest using an oil rather than a spray.
Alternatively, you can choose to use a slow cooker liner
Add chicken along with all other ingredients (except garnishes) to slow cooker. Cover and cook on the low heat for 3-4 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Each slow cooker is slightly different and cooking time may vary a bit.
Once chicken is fully cooked, remove it from your slow cooker. Shred your chicken breasts and return them to the slow cooker. Stir to fully combine with the balsamic sauce.
There are so many amazing ways to serve this slow cooker balsamic chicken recipe. One of my favorite ways is to toast up a big piece of sourdough bread. Pile your toast high with balsamic chicken and then top with diced fresh tomatoes, fresh chopped basil, and some parmesan.
Another option is to pile this perfect easy dinner recipe on top of pasta, rice, riced cauliflower or mashed cauliflower. Or, serve it over a baked sweet potato. Lightly steamed green beans and/or a simple side salad make the perfect side dish.
A sweet balsamic reduction is wonderful drizzled on top as is some shredded fresh mozzarella and chopped sweet onion.
- This slow cooker meal calls for garlic powder. Three fresh garlic cloves, minced or pressed can be used in its place
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs can be used in place of boneless chicken breasts
- The basil, rosemary and thyme in this recipe can be swapped for 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
Store leftover chicken of this great recipe in an airtight container or zipper top bag. They will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
😉Hints & hacks
- This is an easy meal to prep in advance Just add all the main ingredients and seasonings to a zip-top bag and store in the refrigerator. Depending on how fresh your chicken is, it should last 2-3 days. When you are ready to cook, just toss it in your slow cooker and stir!
- Please note that cooking time for chicken recipes varies based on your slow cooker. The first time you make this dish, note how long it takes for the chicken to reach 165℉. This will make it much easier the next time you make it.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
- Don't forget to turn on (and plug-in!) your slow cooker!!
A. Yes! Chicken does not have to be cooked before adding it to a slow cooker. Properly functioning slow cookers get hot enough, even on the low setting, to fully and safely cook chicken.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Tomato Balsamic Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breasts chicken thighs can be used as well
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with all liquid
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste, if desired
- fresh chopped tomatoes, basil and shredded parmesan cheese optional garnish for serving
- spray or grease slow cooker with nonstick agent of choice
- place chicken breasts into bottom of slow cooker2 lbs chicken breasts
- add remaining ingredient, other than garnishes, to slow cooker14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, 6 oz can tomato paste, ½ cup balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dried basil, ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- cover and cook for low for 3-4 hours or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165℉
- remove chicken from slow cooker and cut into bite-sized cubes
- Taste sauce and add additional salt, if needed
- return chicken chunks to slow cooker and stir to fully incorporate into sauce
- top with fresh diced tomatoes, chopped basil, and shredded parmesan cheese when serving.