Slow Cooker Pumpkin Bread Pudding is an irresistible treat. It combines the richness of pumpkin, the warmth of spices, and the comfort of custardy bread into one heavenly dish. It is so tasty you may just want to make it all year long!!
The best advice I can give is: grab a large spoon! You are going to want to shove as much of this delicious bread pudding into your mouth as possible! It is one of my favorite things to serve at Thanksgiving dinner. Right next to my other favorite pumpkin recipes: pumpkin butter and pumpkin cheesecake bars!
While this may be the perfect fall dessert - you might want to make this in the winter too. And the spring. And maybe even the summer. Yes, it is that good!
To make this amazing crock pot pumpkin bread pudding, you will need these items from the grocery store:
- a loaf of crusty bread - a medium sized loaf cut into cubes. Day old or slightly stale bread works best.
- eggs - beaten
- milk - or non-dairy alternative. I use almond milk
- pumpkin puree - or canned pumpkin (just make sure not to get pumpkin pie filling)
- dark brown sugar
- maple syrup - the real stuff is best, but any kind will add a great touch of maple flavor
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- ground powdered ginger
This great recipe just involves a few simple steps:
Preparing your slow cooker
Prepare your slow cooker by coating it in a non-stick agent. Any nonstick cooking spray or oil will work. Olive oil and avocado oil are my go-to coatings.
NOTE: some slow cooker inserts come with a nonstick surface. Use of a non-stick agent is still suggested. However, oil is sometimes recommended rather than spray to protect the longevity of the non-stick surface. Check the manual for your slow cooker if you have any concerns.
Alternatively, you can choose to use a slow cooker liner or parchment paper with this recipe.
Start by cutting or tearing your bread in 2" cubes. Place bread pieces into greased slow cooker.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs. Add all remaining ingredients to the whisked eggs and mix until fully combined. I start with a spoon to break up the pumpkin a bit and then switch to a whisk.
Pour egg mixture over bread cubes in slow cooker. Use a whisk or spoon to press the bread cubes down so that each one has the opportunity to fully absorb the liquid.
PRO TIP: This crock pot bread pudding recipe does not have to be cooked right away. Just mix all the ingredients together in a large container and store in the refrigerator anywhere from 3 hours to overnight. I actually think it comes out better when it has a chance to sit. The perfect prep-in-advance dish!
Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours. Your bread pudding is ready to serve when the edges are crispy and the center reaches an internal temperature of 165℉.
There are so many great ways to serve this warm bread pudding. Some favorites include:
- Topped with scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Sprinkled with powdered sugar
- Sprinkled with cinnamon sugar
- Dotted with chocolate chips
- Dotted with cinnamon chips
- Drizzled with warm caramel sauce
❓What is the best bread for bread pudding
Slightly stale or day-old bread is suggested for this crockpot pumpkin bread pudding. I used sourdough bread in the pictures here because it is what I had on hand.
Other breads that work well include French bread, challah, and ciabatta. However, I have made this with everything from leftover bagels to whole wheat bread and it always comes out delicious! Any extra bread you have on hand can be transformed into this perfect dessert!
- To make this recipe sugar free, use a brown sugar substitute.
- For a dairy free crock pot bread pudding, use a dairy free milk. Almond milk, oat milk and coconut milk all work well.
- Pumpkin pie spice can be used in place of the other spices listed.
- Pure vanilla extract made from vanilla bean is always best. However, any vanilla extract will work.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
Spoon bread pudding leftovers into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. It can be easily reheated in dessert or snack-sized portions in the microwave.
😉Hints & hacks
- Raisin challah is amazing in this crock pot pumpkin bread pudding recipe!
- Although I am a big fan of slow cooker liners, I often forgo them when making this dish for aesthetic reasons. When serving to guests right out of slow cooker vessel, it is much nicer looking without a liner. Regardless of which method you use, you should spray either your slow cooker pot or liner with a non-stick spray.
- If your slow cooker cooks unevenly (as some of mine do) rotating your slow cooker pot 180 degrees within the cooking element will help even things out. I try to do this about half way through the cooking time.
- Not a fan of slow cooker liners? Parchment paper works just as well with this particular recipe.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- measuring cups and spoons
- Knife and cutting board
- wire whisk
- day old loaf crusty bread cubed
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 cups milk or non-dairy alternative. I use almond milk
- 2 cups pumpkin puree or 1- 15 oz can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1½ cups dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- grease or spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray or oil
- cut or tear bread into 2" cubesday old loaf crusty bread
- beat together eggs.4 eggs
- add all remaining ingredients into eggs and stir or whisk to fully combine2 cups milk, 2 cups pumpkin puree, 1½ cups dark brown sugar, 2 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- add bread cubes into the bottom of slow cooker
- pour egg mixture over bread cubes. Use a spoon to push down each piece of bread. Make sure that each cube is saturated with the liquid.
- cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- bread pudding is ready to serve with the middle of reaches 165℉.