Slow cooker hamburger hash is a decadent mash-up of ground beef and shredded potatoes covered in cheesy goodness. This easy, budget-friendly dish is picky-eater approved and will disappear fast!
Some dishes just aren't pretty. This delicious recipe falls squarely into that category. It is a fun recipe and a family favorite for sure. But - it is hard to photograph!
I say - give me an easy crock pot recipe over a pretty one any day of the week! Easy slow cooker recipes with basic ingredients like this one are perfect for busy nights. Who cares if it is photogenic?!?
📝Shopping listJump to recipe card for exact details
To make crockpot hamburger hash, you will need these simple ingredients:
- Frozen hash brown potatoes - shredded is a must for this dish
- Lean ground beef - brown ground beef in advance.
- Small white onion - diced.
- Minced garlic - garlic powder would work as a substitute as well
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese - shredded. Extra sharp cheese is always my go-to.
- Mushroom or onion soup mix
- Non-stick spray
The hardest part of this easy recipe is browning the ground beef in advance. This can be done stovetop in a large skillet.
I like to cook beef in bulk and freeze it in meal-sized portions. I use my crockpot for this task. Regardless of how you cook it, be sure to drain excess grease after cooking.
Start by spraying your slow cooker with a non-stick spray. Next, add all ingredients, other than about 1 cup of shredded cheese, to your slow cooker. Stir to mix beef with other ingredients and cover.
Cook brown hamburger casserole on low heat for 4-6 hours. Top with reserved cheese about 15 minutes prior to serving.
Your entire house is gonna smell delicious while it cooks!
This is a very forgiving dish and the cooking time is somewhat flexible. Plus, this fantastic slow cooker recipe can sit on the warm setting for several hours.
This makes it an easy meal for weeknight dinners. Especially on those nights when the whole family is eating at different times.
NOTE: There is no need to defrost the hash browns first.
This easy hamburger dish is great served in bowls topped with a little extra cheese. We like to serve it with some tortilla chips or even in a tortilla bowl.
It is delicious when accompanied by a fresh garden salad, lightly steamed green beans, mashed cauliflower or zucchini and squash parmesan. Maple vanilla carrots and cream-style corn are also great side dishes.
Slow cooker hash leftovers can be stored in an airtight container or zipper-top bag. I like to store leftovers in individual portions for easy reheat-and-eat meals.
They will last several days in the refrigerator and up to 4 months in the freezer. This dish is just as amazing the second time around!
😉Hints & hacks
- The types of potatoes matter here. I have only made slow-cooker hamburger hash with shredded, frozen hash browns. If you try it with fresh-cut potatoes, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below.
- Looking for an alternative way to make the creamy mushroom sauce? You can substitute the sour cream and mushroom soup mix with a can of cream of mushroom soup.
- Purchasing onion that has already been cut into small pieces can save you a lot of time (and tears!). It is generally available in both the frozen and the refrigerated sections of your local grocery store.
- I am a huge fan of slow cooker liners. They are a great help with this particular recipe. If you prefer not to use them, spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray prior to adding any other ingredients.
- This hamburger hash slow cooker recipe is a great potluck suggestion! It's a classic one dish meal.
- In the market for a slow cooker? I love mine!
- Looking to add even more flavor? This dish is great served with some hot pepper sauce on the side!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lazy Slow Cooker Hamburger Hash Recipe
- Set aside 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- spray slow cooker with non-stick agent of choice.
- add remaining ingredients into slow cooker and stir to combine.30 oz potatoes, 1.5 - 2 lbs browned ground beef, 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, 3 cups sour cream, ½ cup onion, 1 tablespoon mushroom bullion base, 1 tablespoon garlic
- cover and cook on low for 4 - 6 hours
- about 15 minutes prior to serving, remove lid and sprinkle remaining shredded cheese on top. Re-cover and allow cheese to melt.