Slow cooker unstuffed pepper soup is an easy, one-pot, tasty meal that you will want on your dinner table often! This wonderful dish is filled with savory ground beef, flavorful peppers, and tomato-y goodness.
I subscribe to the notion that there is such a thing as "soup season". There is no doubt that a filling, hearty soup can warm you from the inside out on a cold night. However, I think it is wonderful all year long!
This pepper soup crockpot recipe is a perfect example. It is an easy meal that I know my family loves no matter what season it is. Busy nights don't seem to have a "season". Delicious recipes made with simple ground beef and a whole bunch of peppers shouldn't either, IMHO.
📝Shopping ListJump to Recipe for exact quantities
To make this easy stuffed pepper soup you will need:
- Lean Ground beef - Brown beef and drain fat.
- Onion - chopped
- Bell peppers - chopped
- Garlic - minced
- Worcestershire sauce
- Pepper - fresh ground, if possible
- Canned diced tomato - with all juices
- Tomato sauce
- Beef Broth
- Rice - fully cooked
- Toppings - Fresh cilantro and shredded Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese are all great choices - (optional)
Place beef into your crock pot followed by all remaining ingredients except rice and toppings. Stir, cover, and cook on low heat for 5-7 hours. 20-30 minutes prior to serving, add in rice and stir to fully combine. Add toppings such as cheese and cilantro on each serving individually.
- Both brown rice and white rice are great in this recipe. Brown rice will retain its shape and become slightly less mushy as it sits. This makes it a good option if you know your soup won't be served to all diners immediately.
- If you are looking to make this recipe low carb, substitute the rice with cauliflower rice.
- Looking to lighten things up? Feel free to replace the ground beef in this recipe with ground turkey.
- Not a fan of green peppers? Feel free to substitute whatever color peppers you prefer. Red bell pepper will add a slightly sweeter flavor to your beef mixture.
This great recipe will quickly become a favorite of the whole family. A hearty bowl of soup like this one is really a full meal on its own. Serve as is with a loaf of crusty bread or cheesy garlic bread. A crisp side salad or turkey salad are always great additions to a big pot of soup.
Leftovers of this delicious soup can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. It can also be frozen for several months. An airtight container or zip-top bag is the best option for storing.
I recommend storing leftovers in single-serving-sized containers/bags. This allows for quick grab-and-go next day meals.
Keep in mind that the longer this awesome recipe sits, the more the rice will start to break down. This will make for a thicker soup when reheated. To thin it out and return the dish to more of a soup form, just add some additional broth.
😉Hints & Hacks
- Fresh green bell peppers, as well as a combination of sweet peppers, are generally available to be purchased already cut up. They can be found in both the fresh and frozen sections of your local grocery store. Although a little pricier, using pre-cut vegetables makes this one of the best easy slow cooker recipes.
- Crockpot stuffed pepper soup is a great make-in-advance recipe. You can assemble all ingredients (other than the rice) the night before.
- This is a great dish if your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to warm (or have it automatically switch to warm if your slow cooker has this feature). Everyone can have a hot and filling meal, no matter what time of the evening they are ready to eat.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price. Here are the liners I buy.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love my new one!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Unstuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
- 1.5 - 2 lbs ground beef browned, fat drained
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2-3 cups chopped peppers Red, green, orange or yellow all work
- 1 20 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes canned (roasted garlic and onion flavored works well)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- fresh cilantro and shredded Monterey Jack cheese for topping optional
- Add ground beef, onions, peppers, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes, and black pepper to slow cooker1.5 - 2 lbs ground beef, 1 small onion, 2-3 cups chopped peppers, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper, 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- pour tomato sauce and beef broth over all ingredients and stir to combine.1 20 oz can tomato sauce, 2 cups beef broth
- cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours
- about 30 minutes prior to serving, remove lid and stir in rice. re-cover and allow to cook until it is time to serve.
- (optional step) When you are ready to serve, spoon in to individual bowls and top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese - allowing cheese to melt on top. Place a piece of fresh cilantro on top for garnish.fresh cilantro and shredded Monterey Jack cheese for topping
- Nutritional facts do not include cheese topping
- While this dish will last well for several hours on the warm setting of your slow cooker, please keep in mind that rice will start to break down and become a little mushier over time. (We like it this way!) However, if your diners will be eating at different times, and they aren't fans of softer rice, you can add rice into each individual bowl just before serving.