The easiest way to make delicious bean free white chili.
Have I mentioned that I don't really like red meat? And that Mr Wonderful doesn't do dairy? And that Number Three doesn't eat beans? When everyone has a different opinion, but you still want to make an easy hot meal, where do you turn? This one always does the trick for me! When Lazy Bean Free White Chili entered our world it was a game changer. It is delicious, filing and versatile. I have been know to freeze the left-overs and then repurpose them as either taco or enchilada filling.
It is also a fun meal to cover with tons of different toppings. This allows us each to add a little bit of our own personalities to our plates. In addition to avocado and lime (shown), shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa verde, onion and crushed tortilla chips have all made appearances. You can get as creative as you like. It also works as a healthier alternative on a homemade nacho dish.
I prefer to keep mine on the mild side, but you can easily turn up the heat by adding more jalapeños or hot chili peppers. It is the easiest, most versatile way to make delicious bean free chicken chili.
Lazy Bean Free White Chili Hacks:
- Probably the “hardest” step in this process is having to take the chicken out of your slow cooker to shred it. I prefer the most basic shredding method of using two forks and just pulling the meat apart. However, there are other methods. It seems that the two most popular are using the beaters of a hand mixer and using a potato masher. I have not personally tried either of these. In my mind, both of these just create more dishes to wash. But, I suppose if you are making enough chicken for a very large crowd, the hand mixer could save a lot of manual effort.
- This chili is very versatile. You can serve it as chili on its own, use it to top potatoes or use it as fillings for tacos and burritos.
- I recently discovered that chopped onion is available in bags in the frozen veggie section of the market. This is a game changer for me because my eyes are super sensitive to chopped onion. I will never cut a fresh onion for a dish like this again.
Lazy Bean Free White Chicken Chili
- 6 qt slow cooker
- measuring spoons and cups
- two forks to shred chicken
- slow cooker liner (optional)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 2 11 oz cans white corn
- 1 4.5 oz can chopped green chillies
- ½ 4.5 oz can chopped jalapeño peppers I used half a can of mild peppers, but you can use hot or add more based on your preference
- 5 cloves roasted garlic, mashed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, raw
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1.5 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkle chopped onion on bottom of pot
- add frozen (or fresh) chicken breasts
- add chillies, jalapeño, garlic, cumin and cilantro
- Add chicken stock and corn
- Squeeze juice of one lime over the top
- place lid on pot and cook on low for 6 hours
- remove chicken and shred
- return chicken to pot and keep on warm until time to serve