Slow cooker bean-free chicken chili is a delicious and easy dish that is worthy of a spot on your regular dinner rotation. All the goodness of chili, just without the beans. This flavorful dish, made with chicken breasts, salsa verde, creamed corn, and spices will disappear about as quickly as you can make it.
Have I mentioned that I don't really like red meat? And that Mr. Wonderful doesn't do dairy? And that Number Three doesn't eat beans? To say that making one dinner for everyone can be a challenge is an understatement.
When this healthy white chicken chili recipe entered our world it was a game-changer. It is a crowd pleaser that is filling, and versatile. I have been known to freeze the leftovers and then repurpose them as either taco or enchilada filling.
To make everyone happy from the same slow cooker, I developed a few different bean-free slow cooker delicious chili recipes. I alternate between this recipe, bean-free traditional chili, and my turkey chili made with edamame (healthy comfort food!).
Shopping listJump to Recipe Card For Exact Quantities
To make this easy slow cooker recipe you will need:
- Chicken - breasts or thighs would both work, we prefer breasts
- Onion - chopped. I use frozen, pre-chopped
- Creamed corn - I use canned
- Green chilis - chopped. I used canned
- Salsa Verde
- Garlic - minced
- Chili powder
- Cilantro - fresh chopped, if possible
- Chicken broth
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper - to taste
For this easy white chili recipe, place chicken breasts in your slow cooker. Next, add in all the rest of the healthy ingredients. Cover and cook for 4-6 hours or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165º F on a meat thermometer.
Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove breasts and shred. Return breasts to slow cooker and stir to fully combine. Keep on warm until ready to serve.
My favorite way to eat this dish is to scoop loads of it onto tortilla chips - almost like a dip. In fact, it makes a great topping for loaded nachos. However, this slow cooker white chili is great eaten with a fork too!
We love it topped with some shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Sliced green onions, chopped green chilies, chopped fresh jalapenos, and Monterey jack cheese are also favorite toppings.
It is perfect served alongside some white rice, brown rice, or riced cauliflower. A side of sweet corn spoonbread is always a perfect addition.
Leftover white bean chicken chili can be stored in an airtight container. I like to store in smaller, individual serving size containers for easy reheat-and-eat meals.
This easy dinner will last about 3 days in the refrigerator and several months in the freezer.
Hints & hacks
- You can turn easily turn this dish into a creamy white chicken chili. Adding coconut milk(to keep it dairy free) or heavy cream will do the trick. Adding a block of cream cheese is also a delicious option.
- To thicken chili without adding anything, cook with the lid off for the last hour or so.
- Use a meat thermometer for confirmation that chicken is safe to eat. According to the FDA, chicken is safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F
- Slow cooker liners are an optional but helpful hack whenever using a crockpot. They allow you to cook with little to no cleanup. I like to buy mine in bulk for a better per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? Here is my current favorite model.
So glad you asked!
Looking to spice up this easy recipe? Swap out half of the diced chili peppers for a can of diced jalapenos. Hot sauce, red pepper flakes, or a dash of cayenne pepper can also be used to spice up individual servings.
I love using fresh cilantro. The smell alone is wonderful. However, you can substitute dried and still have a delicious dish. Similarly, minced fresh garlic can be swapped out for garlic powder.
Slow cooker chicken chili is a great meal prep dish. All ingredients can be added together in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Bean Free Chicken Chili
- two forks to shred chicken
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3-4 chicken breasts our about 6-8 thighs
- 2 14 oz cans, creamed corn
- 2 4 oz green chilies chopped
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1½ tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 heaping tsp cumin
- 1 heaping tsp chili powder
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 lime juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- place chicken into slow cooker3-4 chicken breasts
- add in all remaining ingredients1 small onion, 2 14 oz cans, creamed corn, 2 4 oz green chilies, 1 cup salsa verde, 1½ tablespoon garlic, 1 heaping teaspoon cumin, 1 heaping teaspoon chili powder, 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, ½ cups chicken broth, 1 lime
- place lid on pot and cook on low for 6 hours
- remove chicken and shred
- add salt and pepper to taste if neededsalt and pepper to taste
- return chicken to pot and keep on warm until time to serve
Check out my latest on Instagram
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
I'M IN!! SIGN ME UP FOR OCCASIONAL EMAILS FROM THE LAZY SLOW COOKER!
Can you still freeze with all the dairy products added for creaminess?
The Lazy Slow Cooker says
I have frozen this recipe as written without a problem. It just needed to be well stirred once defrosted.
Thanks for asking!!