Slow cooker Spanish beef stew is a hearty and saucy dish that is full of so much flavor. This easy one-pot meal will quickly become a regular on your dinner menu rotation.
Beef Stew is one of the most versatile slow cooker recipes. It is no wonder that every culture has put its spin on it. Crockpots were practically made for these dishes since the low slow cooking always yields tender beef and amazing flavor.
This non-authentic recipe is no exception. Spanish stew is generally made with the least expensive stew meat - like its ground beef stew cousin. Just flavor it up and let your crock pot work its magic! The perfect meal for everything from cold winter nights to a cool summer dinner around a campfire.
To make this amazing slow cooker beef stew, you will need these key ingredients:
- stew meat - cut into bite-sized chunks
- salt and black pepper
- fire roasted tomatoes - canned, with all juices
- tomato paste
- onions - diced (one small to medium onion)
- carrots - cleaned and cut into large chunks
- baby or fingerling potatoes - cleaned and cut in half (unless they are tiny as pictured)
- red bell pepper* - diced
- dry white wine
- smoked paprika
- garlic - minced* (i use jarred)
- dried oregano
- bay leaf
- green olives* - sliced
- non stick cooking spray
Place beef chunks into a zipper top bag along with flour, salt, and pepper. Gently shake closed bag until all meat is lightly coated and set aside.
Spray the bowl of your slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray. Add coated beef and all remaining ingredients, except bay leaves and olives. Stir to combine.
Gently place bay leaves on top of mixture. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
After 7-8 hours (on low), carefully remove bay leaves using tongs. Stir in olive slices.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
The tasty stew is a full meal on its own. Serving with a heel of crusty bread and a crunchy garden salad is all you need. Or, some crunchy tortilla chips make a great go-with.
Dijon parmesan cauliflower and garlic mushrooms both make delicious side dishes. A bowl of black beans soup makes a great starter for this meal.
- Green bell peppers can be used in place of red in this dish based on your flavor preference.
- Beef broth can be used in place of wine.
- For a sweeter dish, swap out raw red peppers for roasted red peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed, can be used in place of the jarred garlic as can 1.5 teaspoon of dried garlic powder
- As with classic beef stew, red wine can be used in place of white wine in this recipe for a deeper flavor. Alternatively, a dry sherry wine is good substitute.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
Store leftovers of your Spanish stewed meat in an airtight container or zip-top bag. Leftovers will stay good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and 4-6 months in the freezer.
I like to store leftovers of this hearty meal in meal-sized containers. This makes for easy reheat-and-eat next day meals for the whole family
😉Hints & hacks
- To make this easy beef stew recipe even easier, use frozen, already-diced onions and carrots. This will save a ton of chopping time and is readily available in the freezer aisle of most markets.
- Looking to add some spice to your delicious stew? Add diced chilli peppers to the mix.
- This recipe works with different cuts of meat. Pre-cut beef stew meat is easiest. Chuck roast, flank steak, and skirt steak are also great options. I suggest going with whatever cut of beef makes the most sense economically.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
- Always double check to make sure your slow cooker is on and plugged in!!! There is nothing worse than coming home to a slow cooker that was never properly turned on!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Spanish Beef Stew
- Knife and cutting board
- 3 lbs stew meat cut into bite sized chunks
- ¼ cup flour
- 1.5 tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 28 oz fire roasted tomatoes canned, with all juices
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup onions diced (one small to medium onion)
- 2 large carrots cleaned and cut into large chunks
- 2 cups baby potatoes cleaned and cut in half (unless tiny as pictured)
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced (i use jarred)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 cup green olives* sliced
- non stick cooking spray
- More salt and pepper to taste
- spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spraynon stick cooking spray
- place cut beef chunks into a zip top plastic bag. Add flour, salt and pepper to bag. Close bag and shake until all meat is slightly coated.3 lbs stew meat, ¼ cup flour, 1.5 teaspoon salt
- Add beef and all other ingredients except olives and bay leaves to slow cooker28 oz fire roasted tomatoes, 8 oz tomato paste, 1 cup onions, 2 large carrots, 2 cups baby potatoes, 1 red bell pepper, ½ cup dry white wine, 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1 teaspoon oregano
- place bay leaves on top of other ingredients, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.2-3 bay leaves
- 15 - 30 minutes prior to serving,remove bay leaves and add olive slices to hot mixture. stir to combine.1 cup green olives*
- add salt and pepper to taste
Check out my latest on Instagram
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
I'M IN!! SIGN ME UP FOR OCCASIONAL EMAILS FROM THE LAZY SLOW COOKER!
Leave a Reply