These slow cooker Rice Krispie treats have all the sweet, crunchy goodness of the originals with added color and pizzaz. This one-pot version of these amazing treats will be a hit every time you serve them!
To make this easy treat, you will need these simple ingredients:
(exact amounts can be found in the recipe card below)
- Butter - salted
- Toasted crispy rice cereal - such as Rice Krispies
- Pure vanilla extract
- Mini marshmallows
- More mini marshmallows - white or colorful marshmallows
- Sprinkles - divided (color of your choice)
Yes, there are a ton of different ways to make Rice Krispie treats. And they are all delicious. I, of course, like to use my slow cooker.
You don't have to stand over a hot cooktop or hover over a constantly beeping microwave. It's just melt, mix, and go. Easy, fuss-free, and delicious.
Adding rainbow or other colorful sprinkles to rice crispy treats is the perfect way to jazz them up. You can use rainbow sprinkles just to make them pretty or tailor them to specific occasions: (red and green for Christmas, pink and red for valentines day, etc).
No matter how you decorate them, these easy rice krispie treats are a classic that everyone loves. They will disappear quickly!
Spray slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray. Add butter to slow cooker and cook on the high setting until fully melted. This takes me about 13 minutes in my old, manual 3 quart round Crock Pot.
Add vanilla and marshmallows into the melted butter and mix until all marshmallows are fully coated. Cover and allow to cook until marshmallows melt. This takes me anywhere from 10-15 minutes.
Plan to open the lid halfway through to stir your marshmallows well. Just to make sure nothing is burning or sticking.
Once everything is fully melted, use oven mitts to carefully remove your slow cooker insert from the heating element. Place it on a heat-safe surface. Add the toasted crispy rice cereal to the gooey marshmallows and stir until they are fully incorporated.
Next, add unmelted marshmallows and sprinkles. Mix until fully combined.
Now you have options:
1. If you aren't in a rush, use a spatula to fully flatten out the mixture and make it even. Leave the slow cooker with its lid off. Let it cool to room temperature to allow your delicious treats to harden. (I must confess that I NEVER do this - I can't wait that long to sink my teeth into these babies!)
2. BUT - I also hate the thought of having to wash a second pan. To avoid this, use parchment paper to either line a 13-inch baking dish OR to just line your countertop. Use a silicone spatula to remove the marshmallow mixture from your slow cooker and spread it into an even layer on the parchment paper.
If you are using a casserole dish, be sure to press it around to all of the edges. If you are going free form on the counter, you will want to mold it into a casserole shape. Just make sure it is as uniform in thickness as possible.
Here is the hard part: Wait for the mixture to fully cool to room temperature. Waiting isn't my thing. So, I can attest from personal experience that eating it hot will burn your mouth!!
Once fully cooled, cut into squares and enjoy!!!!! The perfect recipe!
These cereal bars are super easy to customize. This makes them the perfect desserts for everything from a birthday party to a holiday celebration.
Use red, white, and blue sprinkles to make fourth of july rice krispie treats. Red and green sprinkles turn them into Christmas rice krispies treats. And, of course, colorful sprinkles (shown) make them birthday cake rice krispie treats. There are endless variations of slow cooker rice krispie treats!
Make yummy chocolate-dipped sprinkle rice krispie treats by dipping your finished chewy treat squares in melted chocolate. Try spreading some date caramel, pumpkin butter or Nutella on top of a square for an extra sweet treat!!
To make this easy dessert even better, try using colorful or even flavored miniature marshmallows to mix in along with the sprinkles.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
Leftover rice krispie treats can be easily stored in an airtight container or zipper top bag. They will stay fresh this way for up to one week on your counter.
These amazing cereal treats can also be frozen for up to six months!
😉Hints & hacks
- Spray a silicone spatula with non-stick cooking spray prior to mixing/smoothing your treats to avoid sticking. If you plan to use your hands for smoothing things out, spray them too!
- I am a fan of using real vanilla extract in sweet treats like this one. It makes a difference in the end result.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. This is, of course, an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price.
- Slow cooker rice krispie treats are great made in a casserole crockpot!.
- I have found the best way to cut a pan of treats is with a super sharp knife. If you find that the knife sticks to the treats, spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Making batches of this easy, no bake dessert is a great way to get the kids involved in fundraising. Just wrap up individual squares in plastic baggies and you have the perfect bake sale item.
- For the easiest cleanup, use a lot of non-stick cooking spray all over the insert prior to starting. If you find yourself with a messy slow cooker insert, soak it with warm soapy water in the sink.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small amount from qualifying purchases and affiliate links at no additional cost to you.
Slow Cooker Rice Krispie Treats With Sprinkles
- 3.5 quart slow cooker or larger
- Rubber spatula
- parchment paper
- 4 tablespoon salted butter
- 6 cups toasted crispy rice cereal such as Rice Krispies
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 2 cups mini marshmallows white or colorful marshmallows
- 1 cup sprinkles divided (color of your choice)
- spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray
- add butter to slow cooker. cover and cook on high until butter melts (about 10 minutes)4 tablespoon salted butter
- add vanilla and marshmallow and stir to coat marshmallows with melted butter½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- cover and allow marshmallows to fully melt.
- stir once fully melted and carefully remove slow cooker insert from heating element.
- add in rice cereal and stir until fully combined.6 cups toasted crispy rice cereal
- add in extra marshmallows and sprinkles. stir until full combined1 cup sprinkles, 2 cups mini marshmallows
- use spatula to scoop marshmallow/cereal mixture onto a piece of parchment paper that is on a flat surface.
- spray both sides of rubber spatula with non-stick cooking spray and use it to form the rice krispie treat into one large and even rectangle.
- add remaining sprinkles on top and use the spatula to press them into the marshmallow treat so that they will stick after it cools.1 cup sprinkles
- allow to fully cool, cut into squares and enjoy!!