Slow cooker Mediterranean chicken with artichokes is a delicious and easy one-pot meal. Filled with a tasty combination of olives, tomatoes, lemons, and garlic, this dish will disappear quickly.
Are you a thigh person or a breast person? Our whole family loves crockpot chicken recipes. My husband and I are die-hard breast fans. But number two is a thigh-only guy.
How is this genetically possible? I need a scientist to explain this to me! Breast meat eater + breast meat eater = thigh lover?? It doesn't add up!
The great thing about it is that his love of crock pot chicken thighs has forced me to experiment. I generally make every recipe with both boneless skinless chicken breasts AND thighs.
The verdict: this healthy dinner is absolutely delicious with both types of chicken meat. No matter your preference, crock pot Mediterranean chicken has great flavor and will quickly become one of your favorite slow cooker recipes.
To make this delicious recipe you will need:
- Chicken breasts or thighs - cut into two-bite chunks
- Crushed tomatoes
- Roasted red peppers
- Artichoke hearts - canned
- Olives - pitted. You can use green olives or kalamata. I use both.
- Chicken broth
- Lemon juice
- Oregano - dried
- Basil - dried
- Dill - dried
- Garlic - powder
- Onion - powder
- Capers - optional for topping
- Feta - optional for topping
Start by adding your chicken pieces into your slow cooker. Add all vegetables and spices (everything other than capers and feta) on top of the chicken and stir to combine. Cover your slow cooker and cook on the low heat setting for 4-6 hours.
Yep! It's just that easy!
Notes about chicken
Chicken in the slow cooker can be a bit tricky. Boneless chicken breast can dry out and get tough if overcooked. Thigh meat is a little more forgiving and flexible and won't dry out quite as fast.
The best way to combat dry and rubbery chicken is to use a meat thermometer. Towards the end of cooking time, use the thermometer to test the internal temperature of larger chicken pieces. Chicken is considered safe to eat once it reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
Once your chicken reaches that temperature, your best bet is to turn your slow cooker to warm and serve promptly.
The Mediterranean flavors of this dish are wonderful topped with a sprinkling of creamy feta cheese and capers. We love this comfort food recipe served over white rice, brown rice, cauliflower rice, or mashed cauliflower.
It is great when paired with a glass of your favorite white wine and some crusty French bread. Green beans, maple vanilla carrots, and a crisp garden side salad all make great companions for this dish.
With just a little effort, leftovers can be turned into future reheat-and-eat meals. Just store in a meal-sized, airtight container or bags. This will allow you to have an easy grab-and-go chicken dinner just about anytime.
Leftovers will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and up to 3 months in the freezer.
😉Hints & hacks
- I always suggest the use of a slow cooker liner for easy clean-up. I like to buy mine in bulk for a cheaper per-piece price
- In the market for a new crockpot? I love mine!
- This is a great make-in-advance recipe. You can assemble all ingredients in a bowl or slow cooker liner the night before. In the morning, add the mixture to your slow-cooker and you are set (just don't forget to turn it on) 😉
- No time to cut up your chicken before cooking? You can cook it whole along with the other ingredients. Once fully cooked, shred the chicken and return it to your crockpot to mix in with your sauce.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small amount from qualifying purchases and affiliate links at no additional cost to you.
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken With Artichokes
- Knife and cutting board
- 3 - 4 chicken breasts, boneless skinless or 6-8 boneless thighs - cut into bite sized chunks
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup olives, pitted green or kalamata
- 14 oz jar roasted red peppers drained
- 14 oz jar artichoke hearts, quartered drained
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 lemon juiced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoon dried oregeno
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- capers optional
- feta cheese crumbles optional
- cut chicken into approximately 2" chunks and place in slow cooker3 - 4 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- add all remaining ingredients into slow cooker, other than capers and feta cheese, and stir to combine28 oz can crushed tomatoes, 1 cup olives, pitted, 14 oz jar roasted red peppers, 14 oz jar artichoke hearts, quartered, ½ cup chicken broth, 1 lemon, 2 teaspoon dried oregeno, 2 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon dried dill, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder
- cook on low for 4-6 hours depending on you slow cooker. Use a meat thermometer to confirm that chicken is fully cooked prior to serving. Chicken is considered safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- oncefully cooked, top with feta cheese and capers and serve promptlycapers, feta cheese crumbles