Eye of round roast made in your slow cooker is an easy and tender dish. Add in some spunky horseradish sauce and you have the perfect meal!
Slow cookers are great at cooking roasts! Cooking meat that isn't naturally tender on low heat all day will yield the absolute best roast. The flavorings you add to your roasts are what lets you turn them into a delicious meal.
If you aren't familiar with fresh horseradish, it is the edible root of the horseradish plant. It has a strong flavor that is a bit sharp. Similar to wasabi or mustard.
This easy recipe uses prepared horseradish that has very few ingredients. Generally, this is located in the refrigerator section of the grocery stores. Just note that this recipe is not meant for a cream horseradish sauce.
Jars of horseradish prepared this way can be HOT. However, the cooking process mellows it leaving you with a richer flavor and less intense burn.
To make this tender roast beef you will need;
- Beef - this recipe calls for eye of round roast. See below for alternatives
- 8 ounce jar of horseradish - prepared horseradish - not the creamy kind
- Red or yellow onion
- Red wine - or beef stock
- Tapioca pearls - optional. Used to thicken the sauce a bit (you can make a cornstarch slurry if you prefer)
- Garlic - minced fresh garlic clove
- Thyme - fresh sprig
- Salt - optional to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
🔪How to make slow cooker horseradish pot roast
Start by spraying your slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray of your choice. Place beef into the bottom of the slow cooker, fat side up. Add in the remaining ingredients.
Make sure some of the horseradish, onions, and the sprig of thyme sit on top of beef roast. The thyme sprig should be placed on the very top for easy removal after cooking. Cover and cook your slow cooker pot roast on the low setting.
When you reach the end of cooking time, remove the beef from your crock pot. If you like, you can trim excess fat off at this point. Next, slice beef roast into thick slices or shred it. Return sliced or shredded beef back into the juices in your crockpot.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
There are so many wonderful ways to serve this delicious horseradish roast. It is a great recipe to serve on top of mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, rice, or cauliflower rice. Some lightly steamed broccoli or green beans are great sides as is a crisp garden salad.
This tender pot roast is perfect for making hot roast beef sandwiches. If you like it hot, add some additional, raw horseradish on top of your serving of roast. It is also great for serving over pasta.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or zip slide bag. They make great cold or warm sandwiches the next day. As well as easy reheat-and-eat meals any day of the week!
Leftover roast beef can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer. It will last 3-4 days in the fridge and up to 4 months frozen.
🥩A note about beef
While slow cooker eye of round roast is an excellent choice, it can be dryer than some of the other cuts of meat. To compensate, I prefer shredding fork tender roast and mixing it with the juices rather than slicing it.
In addition to eye of the round, there are other cuts of meat that are perfect for slow cooker meals like this. These include boneless beef chuck roast, rump roast, top round roast, and skirt steak. Each is a flavorful albeit tough cut of meat. Your crockpot is a great way to turn these less expensive cuts of beef amazing roast beef dinner.
Do you have a favorite, cheaper cut of beef you love to slow cook with? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below.
😉Hints & hacks
- Looking to turn this roast into a one-pot meal? Add whole white mushrooms, small red potatoes, and diced root vegetables (carrots or parsnips) at the start of cooking.
- There are a lot of different opinions regarding the best way to shred a good crock pot roast beef. Some people prefer to use a potato masher while others use the beaters of a handheld mixer. I am a fan of using two forks. Less dirty dishes to wash!
- I always suggest slow cooking with a liner when cooking beef roast This is, of course, an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
- The best thing is, this is a great dish if your people will be eating at different times. When the roast is done, turn your slow cooker to warm. Everyone can have a warm and filling meal with minimal effort no matter when their dinner time is.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow cooker Eye Of Round Roast With Horseradish
- 1 4 quart slow cooker or larger
- Knife and cutting board or two forks to shred
- non-stick cooking spray of choice
- 2-3 lb eye of round roast
- 8 oz jar prepared horseradish
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ⅓ cup red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoon small tapioca pearls
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 srpig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt optional if watching sodium
- spray slow cooker with non-stick spray
- add roast into bottom of slow cooker2-3 lb eye of round roast
- add remaining ingredients into slow cooker. Make sure some of the horseradish, onions and the sprig of thyme sit on top of the roast8 oz jar prepared horseradish, 1 cup onion, diced, ⅓ cup red wine, 2 tablespoon small tapioca pearls, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1 srpig fresh thyme, 1 teaspoon salt
- cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours
- slice or shred beef and serve with juices from slow cooker.