Slow cooker honey bourbon meatballs are a sweet and savory meatball delight. Filled with sweet honey, tangy bourbon, and tons of delicious flavor, this dish is the perfect entree or appetizer!
Looking for a fun game day treat? An easy weeknight dinner? A hearty appetizer? Look no further!
To make this easy meatball recipe you will need these simple ingredients:
- Meatballs - turkey, chicken, or beef meatballs all work
- Brown sugar
- Bourbon whisky
- Soy sauce - low sodium
- Green onions
- Apple cider vinegar
- Garlic - fresh minced
- Ginger - grated or minced
- Red pepper flakes
When I first made slow cooker whiskey meatballs, I was planning to add them to my rotation of party foods. However, my whole family loved the irresistible flavors and wanted them as a main dish for dinner. A new, easy slow cooker meatballs meal was born. Perfect for lazy weekends (and weeknights, too)!
Best cooking instructions ever: add all ingredients to your slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook!
I love when my crockpot does all the heavy lifting for me. This is the perfect dump-and-go, delicious recipe. Total cook time is 4-6 hours on low. Plenty of time to set it and go about your day.
If you need it faster, it can be ready in 2-3 hours on high. If you are concerned and want to confirm that your meatballs are ready, use a meat thermometer. Meatballs should reach an internal temperature of 160℉ before serving.
When you are ready to serve, you have so many wonderful options. If you are using this dish as a simple appetizer, mini forks or toothpicks are the way to go. You can opt to start with smaller, cocktail-sized meatballs, if you prefer.
If you plan to serve this dish as an entree, it is great over rice or cauliflower rice. We like to sprinkle some sliced green onion and sesame seeds on top as well. The extra bourbon sauce is amazing served over mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
Crock pot bourbon meatballs are also great served in sub rolls as meatballs sandwiches. Just add a side salad or vegetable and you have a full meal.
You can store leftovers of this perfect party food in an airtight container or bag. Leftover meatballs will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator or 4-6 months in the freezer
This easy recipe can be made using fresh cooked or frozen meatballs. Both store-bought and homemade meatballs are perfect here. Turkey, beef, and chicken meatballs are all delicious options for this recipe.
If you are looking to meal prep your slow cooker bourbon meatballs, all sauce ingredients can be combined in advance. Just store sauce in your refrigerator until you are ready to combine with your meatballs and cook.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
😉Hints & hacks
- I haven't yet tried this with vegetarian meatballs. If you try it, please share how it goes in the comment section below.
- This is a perfect meal for days when your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to the warm setting. (Or have it automatically switch to warm if your slow cooker has this feature). Everyone can have a hot and filling meal, no matter what time they are ready to eat.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Lazy Slow Cooker Bourbon Meatball Recipe
- measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing Spoon
- 32 oz frozen, cooked meatballs Can be beef, turkey, or chicken
- ½ cup bourbon
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup soy sauce low sodium is always my choice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated or smashed
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes or more if you want more heat
- ¼ cup green onion sliced, plus more for topping if desired
- instant mashed potato flakes optional
- non-stick cooking spray
- spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spraynon-stick cooking spray
- add all ingredients other than potato flakes into slow cooker32 oz frozen, cooked meatballs, ½ cup bourbon, ½ cup honey, ½ cup brown sugar, ½ cup ketchup, ½ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1 teaspoon ginger, ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, ¼ cup green onion
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- To thicken sauce, cook with lid slightly ajar for the last hour or so OR add stir instant mashed potato flakes into the sauce one tablespoon at a time until desired thickness is achieved.instant mashed potato flakes
- Top with freshly sliced green onion. Serve and enjoy!