Slow cooker buffalo chicken sloppy Joes are a delicious and easy mash up of two classic dishes. Famous buffalo wing sauce slow cooked together with ground chicken and served sloppy Joe style. What could be better??
This recipe puts a new spin on an old crock pot classic. It has the ease of traditional sloppy Joes combined with the zest of a buffalo wing sauce. Just toss the saucy ground meat mixture onto hamburger buns and you've got dinner! All the deliciousness of chicken wings - without the bones!
This Buffalo chicken sloppy Joes recipe is made with lean ground chicken making it a healthy dinner. And - since the meat isn't greasy, there is no need to brown it first. It can all just cook together, right in your slow cooker!
This is one of our favorite recipes for busy nights. BUT, it is also great for a crowd. You can easily make a double batch of this great meal!
To make this amazing chicken sloppy joe recipe, you will need:
- ground chicken
- Buffalo wing sauce
- ranch dressing*
- carrots - finely diced
- onion - finely diced
- celery - finely diced
- garlic powder
- blue cheese - crumbles for topping
- nonstick cooking spray
**Exact quantities and detailed instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
One of the great benefits of cooking with ground chicken is that it does not need to be browned in advance. It cooks fully right in your slow cooker, so no meal prep is needed for this dish.
To make this easy weeknight meal, start by greasing your slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray. I prefer olive oil or avocado oil. Next, add in all ingredients, other than blue cheese crumbles, and stir to combine.
Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Top with blue cheese crumbles just before serving.
There are a ton of different ways to serve this easy chicken dish. It is great on rolls as a sloppy sandwiches. Something crunchy, like cabbage slaw or pickle slices, are great additions.
This buffalo sloppy Joes recipe makes a great substitute for hot wings on game day. Just melt some shredded cheddar cheese on top and drizzle with some blue cheese dressing. Then, use tortilla or pita chips to scoop us some of the spicy wing flavored goodness.
INSIDE INFO: If you like your chicken mixture a bit thicker, cook with the lid off during the last hour or so to allow for additional evaporation.
- Ground beef or ground turkey can be substituted for ground chicken when making this dish. I suggest browning these before adding to your slow cooker the rest of the ingredients. This will allow you to drain off any excess grease. Using lean meat will produce less excess grease.
- If you prefer, 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced or pressed, can be used in place of the garlic powder. Alternatively you can substitute with 1 heaping tablespoon of jarred minced garlic.
- Blue cheese dressing can be used as a substitute for ranch dressing.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or zipper-top bag. It will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator or 4-6 months when frozen.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
😉Hints & hacks
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price.
- If your slow cooker has a non-stick surface, be sure to use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. It is important not to scratch the non-stick coating.
- Store leftovers of your sloppy Joe mixture in individual serving-sized containers for an easy weeknight dinner or lunch.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
- Like all chicken recipes, ground chicken is safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165℉.
- Don't forget to turn on (and plug in!) your slow cooker!!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joe's
- 1½ lbs ground chicken
- 1½ cup Buffalo wing sauce
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- ⅓ cup carrots finely diced
- ⅓ cup onion finely diced
- ⅓ cup celery finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- blue cheese crumbles for serving
- nonstick cooking spray
- spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spraynonstick cooking spray
- add all ingredients into slow cooker. Use a spatula to fully break up ground chicken and stir to thoroughly combine.1½ lbs ground chicken, 1½ cup Buffalo wing sauce, 1 cup ranch dressing, ⅓ cup carrots, ⅓ cup onion, ⅓ cup celery, 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours, until chicken is fully cooked through
- Serve on bun topped with crumbled blue cheese and extra sauce from slow cooker for dipping.