Slow cooker white chicken chili is an easy and flavorful meal that is perfect any day of the week. Tender chicken with beans and corn in a flavorful, dairy free sauce.
This is one of those easy slow cooker recipes that somehow manages to be light and hearty at the same time. It is filling, but doesn't leave you feeling weighed down. All while delivering tons of flavor.
Another amazing feature of this dish: it is super customizable. Are you a fan of spice? You can dial this one up. Or down - if you aren't a fan. It is dairy free as written, but if you want to make it creamy, just add some cream cheese. Do you prefer navy beans to cannellini? Go ahead and make the swap.
Bottom line: This is one of those easy dinners that you will want to add to your regular rotation
To make this easy recipe you will need:
- Chicken - boneless, skinless breasts are easiest but it can be made with boneless skinless chicken thighs as well
- Chicken stock
- White beans - cannellini, great northern beans, or small white beans all work perfectly
- Frozen corn kernels
- White or red onion - chopped
- Canned green chilies - chopped. Choose the heat level of your preference. We use mild.
- Canned or fresh jalapenos - diced
- Garlic - minced
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Salsa verde
- Cilantro - fresh, chopped
- Cayenne pepper - optional. Can be added for extra heat.
Exact quantities can be found in the recipe below.
This best part of this hearty chili is that it is a true "dump and go" recipe. All ingredients are added to your slow cooker at the same time - other than the salsa verde.
After the chicken is cooked through, you will need to shred it.
Next, add in the salsa verde and stir to mix with the rest of the ingredients. Voila - your crockpot white chicken chili is ready to eat!
Hint: The best way to confirm that your chicken is fully cooked through is to use a meat thermometer.
Topping choices are endless, so don't hold back. Some of my favorite toppings are:
- a squeeze of lime (with some fresh lime wedges on the side)
- a dollop of fresh sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- fresh avocado
- shredded pepper Jack cheese
- fresh cilantro
- sliced green onion
I love making a big batch of this because it makes wonderful leftovers. They can be stored in airtight containers or bags. Leftovers will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator or 4-6 moths in the freezer.
😉Hints & hacks
- To thicken up your chili, use the back of a spoon or fork to mash some of the beans. You can even remove some of the beans and give then a quick whirl in a blender. When you stir them back in, the dish will really thicken up!
- I always suggest the use of a slow cooker liner for easy clean up. I like to buy mine in bulk for a cheaper per-piece price.
- In the market for a new crock pot? I love mine!
- Are you a fan of spicy food? As written, this recipe is very mild. To dial up the heat, you can add extra diced jalapeño, toss in some cayenne pepper, use hot chili peppers or top with some red pepper flakes.
Chicken breasts, in particular, can go from done to over done (dry and rubbery) very quickly. Dishes that mix smaller pieces or shreds, such as this one, are very forgiving and often can compensate for this problem. This best way, however, is to us a meat thermometer. Chicken is safe to eat once it reaches an internal temperature of 165º. Monitoring chicken and removing it from the heat as soon as it hits that temperature is the best way to keep it from drying out.
More great crockpot chicken recipes
Lazy Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 6 qt slow cooker
- measuring spoons and cups
- slow cooker liner (optional)
- meat thermometer
- 1½ - 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 15.5 oz. cans white beans of choice small white beans and cannellini beans are great choices
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups corn kernels I use frozen, If using from a can, drain first
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 7oz. can diced chili mild or hot, depending on your preference. canned or fresh
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno or more if you like more heat!
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼+ cup cilantro, fresh chopped
- 1 cup salsa verde
- non-stick spray
- cayenne powder (optional) add in after cooking to dial up the heat
- spray slow cooker with non-stick spray or olive oil if not using a liner
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker, except salsa verde
- cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours
- confirm that chicken is finished cooking by using a meat thermometer to make sure internal temperature reaches 165°
- Any time after chicken is fully cooked, remove from slow cooker and shred
- remove some of the bean from slow cooker and mash or blend to help thicken dish
- return mashed beans and shredded chicken to slow cooker
- add salsa verde to contents in slow cooker and stir to combine
- cover and continue to heat on low or warm until ready to serve
Latest on Instagram:
Have you tried this recipe? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!! 💗