Easy slow cooker creamy sun dried tomato chicken is a comfort food crowd pleaser. Tender chicken pieces coated in a light cream sauce filled with sun dried tomatoes and fresh garlic.
Just the name of this recipe has me drooling! Imagine, chicken smothered in a dreamy, creamy sauce with garlic and sun dried tomatoes. . Not much would go down easier than that! This dish will quickly become a favorite of the whole family.
This is one of those easy recipes that you will find you want to make on repeat. It is an easy weeknight dinner that can transform into a weekend meal just by adding a glass of white wine and some candles!
To make this delicious recipe you will need:
- Chicken - boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Basil - fresh is best when possible
- Chicken stock
- Heavy Cream
- Garlic - fresh minced
- Parmesan cheese - grated
- Sun dried tomatoes - a jar of sun dried tomatoes in oil
- Non-stick cooking spray
Start by spraying your slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray. Add chicken pieces into your slow cooker along with the stock, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook on low for 3-4 hours until chicken is cooked through.
About 30 minutes prior to serving, add heavy cream and parmesan cheese into your crock pot and stir. Top with fresh chopped basil and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese just prior to serving.
This is not a super thick cream sauce. It is perfect served over mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower,brown or white rice, or cauliflower rice. All of these will absorb all of the yummy flavors of the sauce. Pasta or, if you prefer a lighter option, zucchini noodles are also a great base to serve this recipe on.
To turn this hearty meal into a low carb Tuscan chicken recipe, stir in two cups of fresh baby spinach along with the cream and parmesan cheese.
Some additional ingredients that could be added to the sauce include kalamata olives and portabella mushroom slices.
A side salad, some crusty bread and a cooked vegetable such as cauliflower are great additions. To spice this perfect meal up, sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
To make a diary free version of this perfect dish, swap heavy cream with full-fat coconut milk and parmesan cheese with nutritional yeast. Since nutritional yeast has a stronger flavor than parmesan cheese, add ¼ cup at a time and taste test. This way you can have as little or much flavor as you prefer.
🍗A note about chicken
Chicken in the slow cooker can be a bit tricky. Boneless chicken breasts can dry out and get tough if overcooked. Thighs are a little more forgiving and flexible and won't dry out quite as fast.
I find that the best way to ensure a juicy, tender chicken breast every time is to use a meat thermometer. Toward the end of cooking time, use the thermometer to test the internal temperature of larger chicken pieces. Chicken is considered safe to eat once it reaches an internal temperature of 165℉. Serve promptly.
Creamy chicken leftovers can be stored in an airtight container or bag. They will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator and about 3 months in the freezer.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
😉Hints & hacks
- To confirm when the chicken is finished cooking, I suggest a meat thermometer. Chicken that is overcooked will be dry and rubbery. According to the FDA, chicken is safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- IF your chicken comes out a little drier than you like, shred with two forks and mix into the sauce. This works particularly well when cooking breast meat.
- Slow cooker liners are an optional but helpful hack whenever using a slow cooker. They allow you to cook with little to no cleanup. I like to buy mine in bulk for a better per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Lazy Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken - Slow Cooker Recipe
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Additional parmesan cheese
- Start by spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray
- add chicken pieces, broth, garlic and sun dried tomato pieces into slow cooker8 chicken thighs, ¾ cup chicken stock, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 7 oz jar sun dried tomatoes in oil
- cover and cook on low for 3.5-5.5hours, or until chicken pieces reach an internal temperature of 165℉
- half an hour prior to serving, remove chicken pieces, add in cream and parmesan cheese and stir.1 cup heavy cream, ¾ -1½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- add chicken back in, cover and allow to cook for an additional half an hour
- top with basil and sprinkle with some more parmesan cheese when serving.1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, Additional parmesan cheese