Slow cooker mushroom barley soup is an easy, delicious and filling dish. Made with three different kinds of mushrooms, veggies, barley and broth, this easy pleaser is comfort food at its finest!
As the famous slogan says: soup is good food. Soup is filling, warm and wonderful. It can be a full meal, an appetizer, a side dish or even a snack. Soup is just plain GOOD - any time of year.
This crockpot barley soup is no exception! It is satisfying, delicious and easy to make. All that and it also manages to be vegetarian and pretty inexpensive! A winning bowl.
I promise this mushroom barley slow cooker recipe is really easy to make. Don’t be intimidated by the longer ingredient list, it all just gets tossed together in the end! If you want to make things as lazy as possible, check out the Hints & Hacks below.
To make this easy crockpot barley soup, you will need to gather the following:
- mushroom or vegetable broth
- baby bella mushrooms
- shiitake mushrooms
- white button mushrooms
- minced garlic
- Worcestershire sauce
- soy sauce
Slow cooker mushroom barley soup is a true dump-and-go recipe. The ingredients are rather voluminous, so a 6 quart or larger slow cooker is recommended. Once your pot is set, you are going to slice your mushrooms and dice up your vegetables and put them in the pot. Next you will add the spices and barley. The final ingredient to add is the broth. Just cover over your slow cooker with it's lid and you are all done. The hardest part is cutting the vegetables!
Of course, the most important to step is always to turn your crockpot on and then double check to confirm that it is, in fact, on! I wish I had a dime for each time someone told me they either forgot to turn their slow cooker on, OR they turned it on only to realize much later that it was unplugged!
Barley is a wonderful soup ingredient in that is emits starch naturally during the cooking process. This is why soup with barley in it tends to be so thick and hearty. to balance out the thick, rich soup, I recommend serving this dish with a cool crisp salad or, in colder weather, with a delicious cooked vegetable. Avocado toast is another amazing paring for this soup. A crusty French bread makes a great companion too.
If you have leftovers, they can be stored in airtight containers in either the refrigerator or freezer. They will last for 4-5 days in the refrigerator or for several months in the freezer. Frozen leftovers can be reheated in the microwave, on the stove top or even right back in your slow cooker.
One great way to store leftovers is in a mini food warmer! (here is a different brand). The warmer's insert can be stored in the refrigerator and then transferred to the warmer when you want to reheat. This makes for a super way to transport and reheat leftovers (so awesome to have a warm, homemade soup for lunch at work!).
😉Hints & Hacks
- Looking to save extra time? You can purchase all of the mushrooms needed for this recipe pre-sliced.
- Want to save even more time? Purchase your carrots, celery and onion already cut. While they can often be found in the fresh produce section of your market pre-cut, a more economical way is to purchase them frozen from the frozen veggie section. You can purchase each individually or buy find them all together as Mirepoix.
- Having trouble finding one of the types of mushrooms listed in the ingredients? That's ok! This recipe is delicious with many different types of mushrooms! If you decide to swap mushrooms, we would love to hear about it in the comment section below.
- This is a great make-in-advance recipe. You can assemble all ingredients other than barley and the broth the night before. Barley and broth can then be carefully added at the time you are ready to commence cooking.
- Use a vegan Worcestershire sauce to make this recipe vegan.
- This is a perfect meal for days when your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to warm (or have it automatically switch to warm if your slow cooker has this feature) and everyone can have a hot and filling meal, no matter what time they are ready to eat.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price. Here are the liners I buy.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? Here is the one I am currently lusting after
❓Frequently asked questions
Nope! your barley will slow cook to perfection right in your soup
Yes! This soup freezes really well. The texture of the barley may change very slightly, but it will still be delicious!
Barley contains starch which is released naturally into the liquid surrounding it during cooking. This lend a thick creaminess to any soup it is cooked with.
This is the perfect set it and forget it soup. Both barley and mushrooms are prime for low and slow cooking. Although it can be made stove top, putting it in your slow cooker allows you the freedom to go about your day and not watch over it.
Yes! Barley contains soluble fiber which helps to reduce hunger by making you feel full longer. This can aid in weight loss.
More great slow cooker soups
Lazy Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe
- 6 qt slow cooker
- slow cooker liner (optional)
- measuring spoons and cups
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 5 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce I use reduced sodium
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 8 cups broth vegetable, mushroom or beef broth would all work well
- place slow cooker liner into slow cooker, if using
- place mushrooms into slow cooker
- add diced vegetables to slow cooker
- add garlic, Worcestershire sauce, say sauce, basil, thyme and barley to slow cooker
- pour broth over ingredients in slow cooker
- stir, cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- serve in bowls and enjoy!
Our latest on Instagram
Check out our latest on Instagram