Slow cooker roasted tomatoes and garlic are easy to make and beyond delicious. Use your crockpot to slowly bring out the delicious flavors of fresh roasted grape or cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves.
POV: It is late summer and your garden is absolutely BURSTING with beautiful tomatoes. Grape and/or cherry tomatoes are popping up everywhere. Bright red fresh tomatoes that are super juicy and begging to be eaten.
You are making salads with them, sharing with neighbors, and even just popping right them in your mouth. Straight off the vine!!! Yet, you can't keep up.
If this sounds like you - this is your recipe!! This easy slow-roasted tomato and garlic treat takes almost no effort. But it is a great way to savor all your home-grown (or farmers market bought) summer gems.
📃Shopping listJump to recipe card for exact details
If you are like me (a self-professed serial plant killer), you don't have all these goodies growing right outside your door. Then the following will all need to be purchased for your crock pot:
- Garlic - 2 or 3 full heads
- Grape (or cherry) tomatoes
- Olive oil - extra-virgin olive oil is best
- Salt & Pepper
🍲Why use a slow cooker for this?
Tomato recipes like this one can certainly be made in other ways. But using a slow cooker will quickly become your favorite. Why? Because you can set it and forget it. Dump in the ingredients and go about your day.
Whether that includes a walk on the beach or a day at your office - using your crockpot for this dish allows you the freedom to do it all. It's like having a second set of hands!
Start by spraying your slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray. Remove all papery outside from the garlic and separate into individual cloves.
Place washed, whole tomatoes on one side of your slow cooker and garlic on the other. Drizzle olive oil over all of it and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours).
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
This is the fun part! There are so many ways to enjoy your slow roasted tomatoes and garlic! My favorite is to spread a garlic clove or two over some toasted crusty bread. Next, squish some tomatoes onto the bread over the garlic. Season with some fresh basil, grated parmesan cheese, and maybe a drizzle of balsamic vinegar - YUM!
Another plan for your slow-roasted tomatoes and garlic is to use an immersion blender. This will allow you to turn them into a light, homemade sauce that is just perfect over pasta, spaghetti squash, rice or zoodles!
Yet another amazing way to enjoy your slow cooker bounty is to use it as a pizza topping. Just add some good olive oil and pizza sauce to a pizza crust. Top with your tomato and garlic and then cover the whole thing with some red pepper flake and grated parmesan cheese. Pecorino Romano cheese is also a great option here.
The possibilities are endless! If you use your tomato mixture in a different, delicious way, please share in the comment section below!
For best results, store your leftovers in an airtight container or zip lock bag. They will last about 2 weeks in the fridge and for a few months in the freezer.
😉Hints & hacks
- This recipe was kept intentionally low sodium. A couple of extra teaspoons salt and a pinch of sugar will help bring out the fantastic flavors of your dish.
- Sprinkling your roasted goodies with dried herbs such as oregano, sage or thyme can add to the delicious, rich flavor. Don't be afraid to play around with it to come up with a taste you like best!
- Sometimes the best tomatoes come from the grocery store! So don't feel like you can't partake if you don't grow your own!
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!!
- If you are popping the tomatoes while they are hot - BE CAREFUL! The insides are VERY, VERY hot and will squirt far and wide!!!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Roasted Tomatoes and Garlic
- 3.5 quart slow cooker or larger
- non-stick spray
- 1 cup whole garlic cloves
- 1.5 lbs grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- remove all paper from garlic cloves and cut off the woody ends, if necessary1 cup whole garlic cloves
- spray slow cooker with non-stick spray
- place tomatoes and garlic into slow cooker1 cup whole garlic cloves, 1.5 lbs grape tomatoes
- drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper3 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- cover and cook on high until tomatoes and garlic are both soft.
- serve as and enjoy!