Slow cooker mango chicken is a sweet and spicy dish that is easy to make and enjoy. Tender, juicy chicken infused with mango salsa and fresh mango for a taste bud explosion.
This is one of those super easy slow cooker recipes that is so good you will want to make it often. It is a great recipe for busy days because it only takes a few minutes of prep time. An all-around perfect meal for busy weeknights.
AND - it has the added bonus of being one of those healthy recipes that is still picky-eater approved. It is just bursting with the amazing flavors of ripe mango and salsa. An added bonus: it is dairy-free!
Slow cooker mango salsa chicken can be made with chicken thighs or breasts. It is versatile enough to be served in a ton of different ways. It is truly a must-try dish for your next family dinner.
📝Shopping listJump to recipe card for exact details
To make crock pot mango salsa chicken you will need:
- Chicken - skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- Red pepper - diced
- Yellow or orange pepper - diced
- Mango salsa - jarred or homemade
- Fresh mango - cut in chunks.
- Soy sauce
- Ginger - freshly ground
- Green onion - sliced, for topping (optional)
🥣How to assemble crockpot mango chicken
Start by cutting your peppers and mango into chunks. Next, spray your slow cooker with a non-stick spray of your choice.
Add all of your ingredients into your sprayed slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover your slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Your chicken will be considered safe to eat once it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
Prior to serving, remove chicken from slow cooker and use two forks to shred. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and stir to combine fully with the mango sauce. Keep on the warm setting until you are ready to serve.
One of the best parts of this recipe is that there are an endless number of ways to serve it. My favorite way is in a big bowl with a side of tortilla chips. I love eating it like it is a dip. Just scoop some on a chip and swoop it right in your mouth!
It also makes the perfect filling for chicken mango tacos and lettuce wraps. It’s amazing on top of a bed of rice, coconut rice mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower. In fact, anything that will soak up the delicious mango sauce would work.
It is beyond amazing when served as stuffing/topping for sweet potatoes. And it is equally delicious served cold on top of a healthy salad!
This chicken mango dish is great topped with some mild green onion. If you would like a stronger onion flavor, red onion would work as well. Some chopped fresh cilantro would also make a great topping.
If you would like to add a chili-like feel to your dish, toss in a can of black beans and extra mango chunks at the start of your cooking time. You can squeeze some fresh lime juice over the top for an added citrus kick. Adding a dollop of sour cream on top is the perfect finishing touch.
If you would like to ramp up the spice in this dish, just use a hot mango salsa.
Although leftovers are rare, they do happen. Store them in airtight containers or zipper topped bags. They will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator and 4-6 months in the freezer.
😉Hints & hacks
- This slow cooker chicken is an excellent dish if your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to low. Everyone can have a warm and filling meal, no matter when they are ready to eat.
- There are a lot of different opinions regarding the best way to shred chicken. Some people prefer to use a potato masher while others use the beaters of a handheld mixer. This chicken will be so tender it will be very easy to shred with two forks. I like to keep it simple 😉
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less costly per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love my Hamilton Beach!
- If you can’t find an actual whole mango, frozen mango chunks will work perfectly.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Mango Chicken Recipe
- two forks for shredding
- slow cooker liner or parchment paper optional
- 1.5 - 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts thighs work too!
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper diced
- 15 oz jar mango salsa
- 1 large, ripe mango cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger freshly grated
- green onion sliced for garnish
- spray slow cooker with non-stick spray of choice
- cut peppers and mango into chunks1 red bell pepper, 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, 1 large, ripe mango
- add chicken into slow cooker1.5 - 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- add peppers, salsa, mango and seasonings into slow cooker and stir to combine1 red bell pepper, 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, 15 oz jar mango salsa, 1 large, ripe mango, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon ginger
- cover and cook on low until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. This takes about 4 hours in my slow cooker.
- remove chicken pieces from slow cooker, shred, and return to slow cooker
- mix chicken shreds with sauce until fully combined
- keep on warm until ready to serve.
Have you tried this dish? I would love to hear how it went in the comment section below!!