Slow-cooker carrot ginger soup is a must-try dish. The sweet/savory flavors of fresh carrots combined with freshly grated ginger will have your tastebuds begging for more. This easy, healthy, creamy, dairy-free recipe will take your slow cooking to a whole new level.
The flavor and crunch of fresh carrots are a wonder of nature. Just give me a little ranch dressing for dipping and I am in veggie heaven.
However, I am slightly less enthusiastic about cooked carrots. So, the first time I tasted creamy carrot soup, I was skeptical. But I was wrong! When you combine that slightly sweet fresh carrot flavor with fresh ginger, you get one delicious bowl of soup!!
One of the best things about this great recipe is that it's filled with healthy carrots. The healthy and yummy combination of carrot with fresh ginger will quickly become a family favorite meal. The perfect dish to come home to after a long day!
To make this vegan carrot ginger soup recipe you will need these simple ingredients:
- Carrots (of course!)
- Yellow onions - diced
- Orange or yellow peppers - diced
- Garlic - minced
- Ginger - fresh grated
- Vegetable stock
- Coconut milk - full fat
- Salt & black pepper - to taste
- Parsley - for garnish
- More coconut milk for decor (optional)
🍲How to make this great soup
Start this delicious soup by spaying your slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray. Although this is less important with soup than other dishes, I still find it helpful with clean up.
My lazy self likes to use baby carrots for this recipe since they involve less prep. However, larger carrots are awesome and sometimes more flavorful. They should be cleaned, peeled, and cut into 1" coins.
Add all prepped ingredients, other than coconut milk, to your greased slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat. Once all veggies are soft and cooked through, use an immersion blender to fully blend. 15 - 30 minutes prior to serving, add in your full-fat coconut milk and stir to combine.
Garnish by the bowl with some decorative drips of coconut milk and parsley leaves (optional). Devour your easy carrot soup!!
Crock pot carrot soup is a great idea any time of year. It doesn't have to be soup season to enjoy this slow cooker wonder! On warm days it is perfect paired with a crusty loaf of bread and a crisp salad.
This slow cooker recipe is amazing served with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt on top.
Leftovers of this easy homemade soup recipe can be stored in an airtight container or zip top bag. It will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Store in freezer-friendly containers and it will stay good once frozen for several months. I love to store this simple soup in meal-sized portions for easy reheat-and-eat on-the-go meals.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
- If you prefer not to use coconut and aren't concerned with keeping the soup vegan, replace coconut with heavy cream
- Freshly grated ginger makes a real difference in this recipe. If can't get a fresh ginger root and grate it yourself, I recommend jarred grated ginger (not powder)
- Chicken broth works well in place of veggie broth if you aren't concerned with making vegetarian soup.
- If you don't have a yellow or orange bell pepper, sweet potatoes make a great substitute. You can dice about ½ of a sweet potato in place of the pepper.
😉Hints & hacks
- If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a countertop blender or food processor. Be sure to use extreme caution transferring hot liquids.
- Onions, can also be purchased pre-cut to make this dish even easier to prepare.
- This slow cooker carrot soup recipe is perfect for days when your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to the warm setting. Everyone can have a warm and filling dish, no matter what time they are ready to eat.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!.
- Although I am generally a big fan of slow cooker liners, I would not recommend using them for a recipe involving an immersion blender.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Lazy Slow Cooker Carrot Ginger Soup
- 4 quart slow cooker or larger
- measuring cups and spoons
- non-stick cooking spray of choice
- 2 lbs baby carrots or full-sized carrots cut into 1" coins
- 1 orange pepper diced. orange or red pepper would work too
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon ginger freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk plus extra for garnish
- parsley chopped, for garnish
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray
- Add all ingredients but coconut milk and garnishes to your slow cooker2 lbs baby carrots, 1 orange pepper, 1 cup onion, 2 tablespoon ginger, 4 cups vegetable broth
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, until carrots can be easily pierced with a fork
- Use immersion blender to blend all ingredients into a thick liquid.
- Add in coconut milk and stir to fully combine.1 cup coconut milk
- Add salt and pepper to tastesalt and pepper
- Serve in individual bowls with parsley and additional coconut milk as garnishparsley, 1 cup coconut milk