Slow cooker Italian chicken tenders are an easy one pot crockpot meal that has something for everyone. Classic Italian flavoring, diced tomatoes and tender broccoli make for a light but flavorful treat.Jump to Recipe
Chicken again? Yep! But this easy recipe is full of flavor yet still light and healthy. It is a great warm meal in the winter, but light enough to serve on a hot summer day.
This yummy dish, made with chicken tenderloins, is perfect for busy weeknights. It is a super easy crockpot recipe that the whole family will love. And, even better - this delicious meal is a true one-pot wonder!
For this easy crock pot meal you will need:
- Chicken - chicken tenders are my go-to, but breasts and thighs work well too.
- Onion - a small diced red onion is perfect, but any onion will do
- Broccoli - fresh, cut into florets
- Garlic - minced
- Italian seasoning
- Diced tomatoes - Canned, diced tomatoes with all the liquid works best. For extra flavor, those with Italian seasonings already added are great.
- Green pepper - diced
- Salt and black pepper - optional, to taste
This is one of those super easy dinner recipes that slow cookers are famous for. All main ingredients, other than broccoli, can be added directly to your slow cooker at one time. Just turn to low heat and you are ready to walk away for several hours.
To keep your broccoli al dente, add it in for the last 45 minutes of slow cooking time. This will allow it to remain more firm and lightly cooked.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
Meal prep option
This slow cooker chicken recipe is a great one to assemble beforehand and store in your refrigerator. Mix all ingredients other than broccoli together in a fridge-safe container or bag. When you are ready, pop the mixture into your crockpot and cook on the low setting.
Slow cooker Italian chicken tenders are great served over pasta (as shown in the pictures). It is also wonderful over rice, cauliflower rice or my personal favorite: mashed cauliflower! Mashed potatoes are also a great sidekick.
Topping your Italian chicken & broccoli with fresh shredded or shaved parmesan cheese is the perfect finishing touch. And, of course, a crusty Italian loaf is always a welcome accompaniment as is a crisp green salad.
Leftovers will store perfectly in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for several months. Storing in single-serving-sized airtight containers or bags is an easy way to prep future reheat-and-eat meals. Leftovers are also delicious served cold on top of a salad or as a sandwich.
😉Hints and hacks
- Chicken is considered safe to eat by the FDA when it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF. I recommend using a meat thermometer to confirm when your chicken is fully cooked and to help avoid overcooking.
- All slow cookers are different and may have slightly different cook times. The first time you make this dish note how long it takes for your chicken to reach 165℉. This will make your timing for subsequent chicken dishes easier to gauge.
- Slow cooker liners are an optional but helpful hack whenever using a crockpot. They allow you to cook with little to no cleanup. I like to buy mine in bulk for a better per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
Yes! Raw chicken can be safely cooked in a slow cooker. The best way to confirm it is safe to eat is to use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165 degrees f.
White meat chicken can dry out quickly. If your tenders are more dried out than you like, use two forks to pull them into shreds. Thoroughly mix shredded chicken in with the sauce in your slow cooker. That can often make a difference and help to rescue over cooked chicken.
Nope! You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into chicken strips.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Lazy Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Tenders
- 4 quart or larger slow cooker
- Knife and cutting board
- 1½ lbs chicken tenders This dish is also great with chicken thighs or breasts cut into strips
- 29 oz diced tomatoes Italian flavored canned tomatoes are best
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small green pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- salt and pepper to taste
- add all ingredients other than broccoli to slow cooker1½ lbs chicken tenders, 29 oz diced tomatoes, 1 small onion, 1 small green pepper, 1 tablespoon garlic, 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- stir to combine, cover and cook for 3-5 hours on low.
- add broccoli florets to slow cooker for last 45 minutes or so of cooking and stir to combine.2 cups broccoli florets
- Salt and pepper to taste prior to serving
Follow us on Facebook
Check out our latest on Instagram
Have you tried this recipe? We would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below!