Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken Teriyaki is a sweet and savory wonder the whole family will love. Chunks of tender chicken and sweet pineapple cooked together in a delicious teriyaki sauce. Don't count on leftovers!
Whenever people ask me for recommendations for an easy weeknight meal, this dish immediately comes to mind. It requires very little effort. A true "dump and go" recipe.
To make this easy crock pot teriyaki chicken recipe, you will need:
- Chicken - boneless, skinless pieces are easiest.
- Red Bell Pepper
- Pineapple chunks - in natural juice
- Teriyaki sauce
- Ginger root - fresh ginger adds great flavor, but dried ground ginger works well too
- Green onions (optional for topping)
- Sesame seeds (optional for topping)
This slow cooker pineapple teriyaki chicken dish can be assembled in advance. Just add all ingredients to a zipper-top bag and store it in the refrigerator. It can be stored this way for a day or two with the added bonus of allowing the chicken to marinate.
If you want to make it even further in advance, you can freeze the zip lock bag! It will last for 3 months or so. Just take it out about 18 hours before you plan to use it. Be sure to allow it to fully defrost in the refrigerator prior to dumping it all in your slow cooker.
Place chicken and all other ingredients (except toppings) into your slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165º F on a meat thermometer. Cooking time to reach this temperature is generally about 3-4 hours.
Uh - yeah, that's it! Embarrassingly easy!
The best way to store leftovers of teriyaki pineapple chicken is in an airtight container or bag. It will last 3 - 4 days in the refrigerator and several months in the freezer.
It has become a family favorite to use the leftover chicken from this slow cooker recipe to make an easy chicken salad. Just shred the cooked chicken pieces and mix with some mayonnaise. You can also add some diced celery for added crunch if you like. Delicious and easy peasy!
😉Hints & hacks
- We prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts for this great recipe, but thighs would work just as well.
- If you would rather not use canned, fresh pineapple and fresh pineapple juice can be used.
- No time to cut up your chicken before cooking? You can cook it whole along with the other ingredients. Once fully cooked, shred chicken and return it to your crockpot to mix in with your sauce.
- If you would like a slightly thicker sauce, add 3 tablespoons of corn starch to a small bowl. Mix it with several spoonfuls of hot liquid from your slow cooker until you have a slurry. Stir slurry into your crockpot with the other ingredients and allow to cook for another 15 minutes or so.
- I use a bottled teriyaki sauce for this recipe. Feel free to substitute with your favorite bottled or homemade version. If you have a recipe you love, please share your teriyaki sauce ingredients below!
- For super easy clean up, I recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. As always, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price. Here are the liners I buy.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? Here is my current favorite.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small amount from qualifying purchases and affiliate links at no additional cost to you.
Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken Teriyaki
- Knife and cutting board
- slow cooker liner optional
- 3 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 oz pineapple chunks in juice canned
- 1.5 cups teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger fresh ground
- green onion sliced
- sesame seeds
- add all ingredients to slow cooker and stir to mix3 chicken breasts, 1 large red bell pepper, 8 oz pineapple chunks in juice, 1.5 cups teriyaki sauce, 1 teaspoon ginger
- cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165º F.
- Top with sliced green onion and sesame seeds to serve.