Slow Cooker Chicken And Tortellini is a delicious and super easy recipe. This family-friendly dish is simple to assemble and will be approved by even your pickiest eaters!
What could be better than a super easy slow cooker recipe filled with tender chicken and cheesy tortellini? Nothing!
This delicious recipe will quickly become a favorite of the whole family. Including you - because it is so simple to toss together!
This is basically the perfect meal. There is nothing better to come home to at the end of a busy day! It is one of those slow cooker meals the entire family can get behind - including those picky eaters!
To make this family favorite, you will need these simple ingredients from the grocery store:
- fresh chicken breast
- chicken broth*
- marinara sauce*
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- cheese tortellini - refrigerated or frozen
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- shredded parmesan cheese - for topping
See recipe card below for full recipe detail and quantities.
Start by adding non-stick oil or spray to your slow cooker. Place raw chicken breast into slow cooker and top with sauce, broth, and spices.
Cover and cook on low heat until chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165℉. This usually takes 3-4 hours of cooking time in my slow cooker.
Remove chicken breast and shred. Add tortellini, shredded chicken, and mozzarella cheese back in to slow cooker. Try to make sure as much of the tortellini as possible is covered by liquid. Cover and cook on low for an additional half or so, until tortellini is soft and ready to serve.
Top with shredded parmesan cheese just prior to serving.
This amazing, savory meal is practically a full dinner all on its own. My favorite way to serve it is with a side salad and some crusty bread.
If you are a fan of heat, try topping with some red pepper flakes.
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs can be used in place of the boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- veggie broth can be used in place of chicken broth if that is what you have on hand
- your favorite red sauce can be substituted for marinara. Tomato basil pasta sauce is a great option in this recipe.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
Store leftovers of this easy dinner in an airtight container or zipper top bag. They will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Leftover chicken can also be frozen in a food storage container for 3-4 months.
NOTE: the tortellini in this dish may get a little soft and/or break apart some when reheating.
😉Hints & hacks
- Be sure to use fresh or frozen pasta when making this dish. Dried pasta will absorb extra liquid and may become mushy.
- Three fresh garlic cloves, minced or pressed, can be used in place of the garlic powder. Alternatively so can 1 heaping tablespoon of jarred minced garlic.
- If you want to add a more Italian flavor, add some Italian seasoning or oregano at the start of cooking time.
- In the market for a new crockpot? I love mine!
- Easy dinner idea: use a slow-cooker liner when making this dish. You will have almost zero clean-up to deal with.
- Don't forget to turn on and PLUG IN your slow cooker!!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups marinara sauce or one 15.5 oz jar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 20 oz cheese tortellini (fresh, refrigerated) can use frozen as well
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese for topping
- coat slow cooker with a non-stick spray or oil
- Place chicken breasts into bottom of slow cooker4 medium chicken breasts
- add all ingredients other than cheeses and pasta2 cups chicken broth, 2 cups marinara sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder
- cook on low for 3-4 hours until chicken breast is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165℉
- remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred chicken and stir back into sauce in slow cooker
- add tortellini and mozzarella to slow cooker and stir to combine. Try to submerge tortellini as much as possible in slow cooker liquid.
- cover and cook on low until tortellini is fully cooked (15 - 30 minutes or so)
- Top with shredded parmesan and enjoy!