Slow cooker chicken gyros are easy, flavorful, and amazing any day of the week. Chicken is slow cooked to juicy perfection then wrapped in pita with tzatziki and veggies for a can't miss meal!
Who isn't a fan of gyros? Slow cooked skinless chicken thighs wrapped up in warm pita bread is a good way to please the entire family! Just add in some creamy homemade tzatziki sauce, chopped fresh veggies, and flavorful kalamata olives for the perfect finish.
Yummy, seasoned gyro meat is traditionally cooked on a vertical rotisserie. But we don't have one of those at my house 😉. While these slow cooker chicken gyros are not authentically grilled, the delicious Greek seasonings certainly make up for it.
The best part of this recipe is that it is super easy to make! Added bonus: Leftovers are versatile and can be used to make lots of other dishes besides just gyros. This gyro recipe is one of the best ways to soothe the hangry beasts you (may) live with.
To make slow cooker Greek chicken gyros you will need:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs - see chicken notes below
- Onion - red or yellow onion
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Red wine vinegar
- Dried parsley
- Fresh garlic cloves - minced
- Oregano - dried
- Salt & pepper
🔪How to make crockpot chicken gyros
Start by spraying your crock pot with a non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken into the bottom of the slow cooker and add in all remaining ingredients. Stir to fully coat the chicken then cover your slow cooker and cook on low heat.
Once your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165℉, remove it from your slow cooker. (Chicken cooks to this temperature in about 3-4 hours in most slow cookers). Cut chicken into approximately 1-inch pieces and stir back into the sauce in your crockpot.
Your yummy Greek chicken is now ready to serve!
Slow cooker Greek chicken gyros are great when served make-your-own style. Suggested items to include on your table are:
- warm pitas
- diced tomatoes
- diced onions
- diced cucumbers.
- creamy tzatziki sauce
- chopped fresh dill
- chopped fresh parsley
- crumbled feta cheese
Your people can each wrap up their own gyro with their favorites allowing the amazing Mediterranean flavor to shine!
This Greek dish can also be served bowl style. Just omit the soft pita bread and allow diners to pile up their favorites in a small bowl. These bowls are great served with some rice and pita chips!
Gryo chicken is also great served cold on top of a delicious Greek salad.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
🍗A note about chicken
Chicken in the slow cooker can be a bit tricky. Boneless chicken breast can dry out and get tough if overcooked. Dark meat is a little more forgiving and flexible and won't dry out quite as fast.
I find that the best way to ensure a juicy, tender chicken breast every time is to use a meat thermometer. Towards the end of cooking time, use the thermometer to test the internal temperature of larger chicken pieces. Chicken is considered safe to eat once it reaches an internal temperature of 165℉.
Leftovers of your gyro chicken can be stored in an airtight container or bag. They will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator and several months in the freezer.
Have some leftover chicken mixture but not in the mood for more gyros? This tender chicken makes AMAZING chicken salad!! Just shred chicken and mix it with a little bit of mayonnaise. This makes a wonderful, quick second meal with the absolute best flavor!
😉Hints & hacks
- All slow cookers are different and may have a slightly different cook time. The first time you make this dish note how long it takes for your chicken to reach 165℉. This will make your timing for subsequent chicken dishes easier to gauge.
- If you don't want to cut up chicken, it can also be served shredded. I generally use two forks to shred chicken. A hand mixer also works well as does a potato masher.
- You can use either prepared tzatziki or your own tzatziki recipe for this tasty meal. If you have a delicious homemade tzatziki to share, please add it in the comment section below.
- Store leftovers in individual serving-sized containers for easy grab and go future meals on a busy day.
- I am a huge fan of slow cooker liners. They are a great help with this particular recipe. If you use a liner, you can skip spraying your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- In the market for a slow cooker? I love mine!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros Recipe
- 3.5 quart slow cooker or larger
- mixing spoons
- non-stick spray
- 2 - 2.5 lbs chicken thighs breasts would work too but will be dryer
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon dried oregeno
- pinch salt and black pepper
- place chicken into bottom of slow cooker2 - 2.5 lbs chicken thighs
- add in all remaining ingredients and stir to coat chicken1 red onion, 2 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 2 teaspoon dried oregeno, pinch salt and black pepper
- cover slow cooker and cook until internal temperature of chicken is 165℉
- remove chicken and slice or break into chunks
- return cut chicken to slow cooker and mix with juices
- Serve chicken in a pita wrap topped with tzatziki sauce and your choice of onions, parsley, tomatoes and cucumbers.