This slow cooker cheese dip, made with caramelized onions and three different kinds of cheese is, a must-try dish. Gooey, cheesy and oh-so flavorful, this dip will wow your diners like no other!!
You already knew that you could use your slow cooker to make chili for the big game. And, of course, beef stew is always a great recipe for a cold day. But, hot dips are really the best way to use your crockpot to impress.
This crowd-pleasing appetizer is just one example. Pair it with some tortilla chips, pita chips, baked brie cheese, and baba ghanoush and you have a legendary spread. You can thank your crockpot later for making so many favorite foods so easy to serve.
Whether serving at a football party or a New Year's Eve celebration, hot dips will earn you rave reviews. This one in particular is one of those next level, easy recipes that everyone will ask for on repeat!
To make this cheesy and delicious party dip you will need these simple ingredients:
- Onions - Caramelized with olive oil
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Gruyere cheese - shredded
- Parmesan cheese - grated
- Worcestershire sauce
- Mozzarella cheese - shredded
Start by spraying your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray This is a great way to make your cleanup easier no matter what you are cooking.
Next, you will need to caramelize your onions. This can be done stove top in a large skillet or in your slow cooker.
I prefer the slow cooker method! It is low and slow, requires no babysitting, and makes your house smell delicious without any splatter. Plus, no extra pot to scrub!😉
Add onions and the rest of the ingredients, except mozzarella cheese, into your slow cooker. Cook on the high setting until it is melted all the way through and give it a good stir. This takes me about an hour in my slow cooker.
Top with mozzarella cheese, for some more gooey goodness, turn your slow cooker to warm and serve!
When possible, I love to serve this crockpot cheese dip right out of the slow cooker. If you keep it on the warm setting your cheese will stay gooey and wonderful. This works best with smaller or shallower slow cookers. A 2 quart slow cooker or a 2.5-quart casserole Crockpot are both great for this dish.
If you would rather use a serving dish, keep in mind that the dip will solidify as it cools. You may need to reheat it from time to time to keep the melted cheese gooey and soft.
There is almost nothing that can't be used to scoop up some of this cheesy caramelized onion dip. Everything from your favorite chips to carrots sticks are perfect dippers.
It is also great to spoon some of the warm cheesy goodness over some french fries or potato chips! One of my favorite ways to serve it is with some sliced green onions or green chiles on top.
- Sweet onions, such as the Vidalia onion are best. However, in a pinch, you can use yellow onions or red onions.
- Out of Worcestershire sauce? Balsamic vinegar can be used in its place. It will change the flavor a bit but still be delicious!
- If you are a fan of cheddar cheese, it can be used in place of gruyere cheese. Again, the flavor will be a bit different, but delicious.
- A teaspoon full of garlic powder also makes a delicious addition to this recipe. If you want to spice it up a bit, try adding some red pepper flakes. Both additions make great game day options.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
Although leftovers of this simple recipe are rare, the good news is, they do happen! Store leftovers of this creamy dip in an airtight container. It will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Reheat your creamy cheese dip the next day in either the microwave or slow cooker on the warm setting.
For best results, freezing is not recommended.
😉Hints & hacks
- Each crockpot is different. The first time you make this dish, watch a little more closely to make sure nothing is burning. I have not personally experienced any burning issues when making this recipe.
- You will love this easy recipe so much that you may need a double batch! This recipe can be easily doubled. Especially if you are using a slow cooker for the caramelization process of onions.
- Some people have commented that freshly shredded cheese melts best. I have made this cheesy dip with both freshly shredded and pre-shredded cheese - both were delicious!
- I generally recommend using a slow cooker liner for easy clean up! They are not overly pretty, though, so I sometimes skip them when I plan to serve to guests.
- In the market for a new slow cooker?? I love mine!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Cheese Dip With Caramelized Onions Recipe
- 2 quart slow cooker or larger*
- Mixing Spoon
- non-stick cooking spray optional but oh so helpful
- 2 large Onions diced and caramelized. This can b done stove top or in your slow cooker.
- 8 oz Parmesan cheese freshly grated is best
- 6 oz Gruyere cheese freshly shredded
- ⅓ cup Cream cheese
- ⅓ cup Mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup Sour cream
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Shredded mozzarella optional - for melting on top
- Start by dicing and caramelizing your onions. I like to use my slow cooker for this (see above for instructions) and make a bunch at a time.2 large Onions
- Spray slow cooker with non stick cooking spray and add all ingredients other than shredded mozzarella8 oz Parmesan cheese, 6 oz Gruyere cheese, ⅓ cup Cream cheese, ⅓ cup Mayonnaise, ⅓ cup Sour cream, 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 large Onions
- Cover and cook on low until all ingredients are melted (this generally takes about 1 hour - but each slow cooker is different).
- Top with shredded mozzarella and serve. Keep on the warm setting if you will be serving directly from your slow cooker.