This delicious crockpot shredded beef taco recipe is one you will want to make on repeat. Tender and flavorful, this beef dish is perfect served in taco shells, bowls, burritos and more.
Raise your hand if you love tacos! Tacos seem to be a universally craved food. The are picky eater friendly, (mostly!) and fun to serve as a make-you-own meal. Their fillings can vary from person to person, based on taste. From soft white tortillas to crunchy blue corn shells, you can find a taco for just about everyone.
How To Prepare Slow Cooker Taco Beef
It really doesn't get easier than this! You just need a large roast (chuck roast is a good choice) and some seasonings. Your prep will involve tossing beef, beef broth, tomato paste, chopped chili peppers, garlic and seasonings in to your slow cooker. You then let your crockpot work its magic. After about 10-12 hours, you just shred taco meat with two forks and it is ready to serve!
There are so many great ways to serve this dish!! It is perfect in taco shells, taco bowls, wraps, salads and more. You can get creative with toppings too! Shredded cheese, sour cream, refried beans, corn, a squeeze of lemon or lime...the list goes on and on!
Shredded Taco Hints and Hacks
- This beef recipe freezes really well. It makes economical sense to buy a large piece of beef and freeze leftovers in dinner sized portions.
- There are a lot of different opinions regarding the best way to shred beef. Some people prefer to use a potato masher while other use the beaters of a handheld mixer. This meat will be so tender it will be very easy to shred with two forks.
- After shredding, remove about ¾ of the liquid in your slow cooker and reserve for use as gravy. Return shredded beef to slow cooker vessel and mix with remaining liquid. If it looks drier than you would like, mix some of the reserved liquid back in.
- This shredded beef taco recipe was made using mild green chili peppers. If you are a fan of spice, use hotter peppers to turn it up.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price. Here are the liners I buy.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? Here is the one I am currently lusting after.
- Homemade taco seasoning is my favorite for a variety of reasons. The most noteworthy of which is that you know exactly what goes into it. No fillers or preservatives. Below is my recipe:
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- chili powder - 4 tbsp
- cumin - 1.5 tbsp
- paprika - 1.5 tsp
- garlic powder - 1 tsp
- onion powder - 1 tsp
- sea salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1 tsp
- dried ground cilantro - 1 tsp
- optional: crushed red pepper flakes to taste (This is relatively mild recipe. If like it hot, here is your chance to turn it up!).
Lazy Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Taco
- 4 quart slow cooker or larger
- Spoon to stir
- measuring cups and spoons
- slow cooker liner (optional)
- two forks (for shredding cooked beef)
- 3 - 3½ lb chuck (or similar) roast
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 8 oz Tomato paste
- ½ cup taco seasoning If you are using a packet of pre-made seasoning, follow the guidelines on the packet for how much seasoning to add per pound of beef. You may need one packet per pound of meet.
- 8 oz chopped mild green chilis I use canned. If you are a fan of heat, you can opt for hotter chilis
- 1 tbsp dice garlic
- salt and pepper to taste, if needed
- place liner in slow cooker (if using)
- Place beef in slow cooker
- Load all remaining ingredients (other than salt and pepper) into slow cooker on top of beef.
- cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or high for 5-6 hours. Low is the preferred method.
- after at least 10 hours, remove beef and shred beef with two forks.
- remove about ¾ of the liquid from slow cooker and reserve for gravy other other use.
- return shredded beef to pot with remaining liquid and stir to mix. If meat seems drier than you like, add little bits of liquid back in and stir. Continue until desired consistency is reached.
- cover and keep on warm until ready to serve.
More Beef Recipes
If you try this recipe, please let me know in the comments below! I'd love to hear your thoughts!*This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This helps to offset the costs of running this website. **Please note that all nutritional, serving size and calorie information is estimated and based solely on the ingredients used, not the offered replacement options or any other substitutions.