Slow cooker pumpkin soup is an easy and delicious dish made from pumpkin puree, stock and seasonings. Like a taste of fall - any time of year!
Nothing is as warm and wonderful as a bowl of thich, rich bowl of soup. Some times, it even seems to have almost magical powers. It can warm you from the inside out when you have the chills, comfort you when you need and somehow still manage to fill and satiate you. This delicious and easy crockpot soup is no exception to the rule. It can do all of the above and more.
How To Make Pumpkin Soup
Slow cooker pumpkin soup has the following ingredients:
- broth (you can use vegetable broth or chicken broth)
- pumpkin puree
- brown sugar (or substitute such as erythritol)
- salt & pepper
- coconut cream or half & half cream
Note: Exact quantities can be found in recipe card below
This is one of those great dump and go recipes that is easy to make, easy to serve and can stay on warm for long periods of time if you need it to. Start by adding the pumpkin puree into your slow cooker. Both canned and homemade puree work equally well. Add garlic, onion, ginger, cumin, turmeric, brown sugar and broth into slow cooker. If you want to keep this dish vegan or vegetarian, I suggest a vegetable broth. If that is not a concern, chicken broth works well. Stir to combine, cover and cook on low for about 6 hours.
Preparing To Serve
Optional step: Prior to serving, use an immersion blender to fully blend in any onion or garlic pieces that maybe floating around to give your soup a smoother and creamier consistency.
How To Serve
When you are serving, place pumpkin soup into individual bowls and add a few tablespoons of either half & half or coconut cream to each bowl, depending on your preference. Coconut cream will, of course allow you to keep this recipe dairy free. Is cream necessary? Not really! This soup is thick and creamy on its own. If you want to keep the calorie count down, you can skip this step, but it sure does make the soup extra decadent!
How To Store Leftover Soup
One of the reasons I like to add cream to each bowl of soup individually rather than the whole pot is because it allows for more storage options for leftovers. Pumpkin soup without cream/can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-5 days. It can also be frozen for about 3 months. It is easily reheated in the microwave. Adding fresh heavy cream or coconut cream after microwaving adds a just made feel to your leftovers.
Pumpkin Soup Hints and Hacks
- This is a great dish if your people will be eating at different times. After your soup is cooked, turn your slow cooker to warm (or have it automatically switch to warm - if your slow cooker has this feature) and everyone can have a hot and filling meal, no matter what time they are ready to eat.
- I recommend using an immersion blender for this recipe to keep it extra creamy. Click here to see the immersion blender I use.
- Looking to prepare this in advance? You can mix all the ingredients together in a bowl or a bowl lined with a slow cooker liner and store in your refrigerator for a day. This is a great option if you would like to be able to just transfer the ingredients to you slow cooker before you run out the door. I do not recommend storing your slow cooker's ceramic insert/pot in the refrigerator. Going too quickly from cold to hot could cause it to crack.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price. Here are the liners I buy.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? Here is the one I am currently lusting after.
Lazy Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 4 qt slow cooker or larger
- measuring spoons and cups
- slow cooker liner (optional)
- Mixing Spoon
- 4 cups pumpkin puree or 2 - 15oz cans
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger dried
- 1 scant tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 4 cups chicken of vegetable broth
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- half and half or coconut cream 2 tbsps or so for each individual bowl.
- Place slow cooker liner in slow cooker, if using
- add pumpkin puree, brown sugar, garlic, onion, ginger, cumin, and turmeric to slow cooker and stir to combine
- add stock and mix well to fully combine
- cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or 3-4 on high)
- to serve, add salt or pepper if needed (I don't generally need any, but it is a personal preference)
- when adding pumpkin soup to bowl, add two tablespoon or so half and half (or coconut cream to keep it dairy free) to each bowl.
Great Crockpot Soup Recipes
Check Out Our Facebook Page For More Slow Cooker Recipes!!