This delicious beefy chili is the perfect way to top a hot dog. Whether you are grilling your hot dogs or heating them up in your crockpot along side your chili, this topper will give you next-level dogs - every time!
Hot dogs are awesome! I can't take a bite of one without be transported to a baseball game. Not sure why, but they always somehow taste best there. EXCEPT for when you make them topped with this awesome chili! Chili dogs take the basic hot dog and elevate it to an art form!
What is Hot Dog Chili
Hot dog chili is a special version of chili that does not contain beans. It is basically a meat sauce (that is more meat than sauce). It has the underlying flavor of a traditional chili, yet it is slightly altered to bring out the best flavors of any hot dog.
How To Make Chili For Hot Dogs
Like most crockpot chili recipes, this starts out with browned ground beef. Somehow the idea of splattered grease and a dirty frying pan does not appeal to my lazy self. Especially when you consider the fact that this has to happen BEFORE you even start the prep for a recipe such as this one. Therefore, I prefer to brown ground beef in large quantities in my crockpot and then freeze it in recipe sized portions for future use. Click here if your are interested in learning how.
In addition to browned beef, you will need the following to make this easy crockpot recipe:
- diced tomato
- salt and pepper
- worcestershire sauce
- brown sugar
- yellow mustard
- chili seasoning
The beautiful thing about this recipe is that it is one you can make without having much in the way of culinary skills. Just add browned ground beef to your slow cooker and mix together with all of other listed ingredients. Then, cover and let your slow cooker work its magic. Before you know it, the aromas from this delicious dish will be making your mouth water.
There are many ways to make hot dogs and any of them would work well with this easy hot dog chili. They can be boiled, broiled, baked or grilled. For the most flavor, grilling over an open flame would be the way to go. However, if it isn't grilling season, or if you just want to keep it as lazy as possible, you can lay a piece of foil or parchment paper on top of your chili for the last hour or two of cooking and add your hot dogs right in to your slow cooker.
How To Serve This Easy Crockpot Recipe
The possibilities here are endless and pretty much anything goes! Setting up a hot dog do-it-yourself bar is an easy and fun way to allow for each dog to be fully customized to individual tastes. Generally, you would place a hot dog into a bun, top with chili and then your additionally toppings of choice. But, honestly, anything goes! If you are trying to watch your carbs, skip the bun and just pile the chili right on top of your dog. Here are some topping suggestions. Be creative, add what sounds good to you!
- shredded cheese
- diced onion
- hot peppers
- sweet peppers
Do you have a favorite topping that has been left off of this list? Please let us know in the comment section below!
Chili Dog Hints and Hacks
- This delicious recipe is great if your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to low and everyone can have a warm and filling meal, no matter what time they are ready to eat. Both the chili and the hot dogs will do well on warm. It is a great dish for a potluck or small party.
- The most labor intensive part step is browning the ground beef. I am so lazy, that I even do that part in my slow cooker prior to starting this chili recipe (this is how I do it).
- Hot dog chili freezes really well. I like to freeze leftovers in meal sized containers for easy reheat and eat meals.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. This is, of course, an optional step. I like to purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price. Here are the liners I buy.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? Here is the one I am currently lusting after.
- This recipe works well with both premade chili seasoning and homemade seasoning. See the below recipe for my chili seasoning if you would prefer to make it yourself.
Slow Cooker Hot Dog Chili
- 3.5 quart slow cooker or larger
- slow cooker liner (optional)
- measuring spoons and cups
- can opener
- Mixing Spoon
- 2-2½ lbs browned ground beef I do this right in my crockpot! See link above
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomato with juice
- ½ cup chili seasoning ** see below for homemade chili seasoning recipe
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
Chili Seasoning (this will make more than you need for this recipe - premade chili seasoning works as well)
- ½ cup chili powder
- ¼ cup cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- place slow cooker liner into slow cooker, if using
- combine beef, onion, tomatoes (with juice), brown sugar, chili seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper in slow cooker
- stir to mix and cover
- cook on low for 6 - hours
- To cook hot dogs, during last 2 hours of cooking, place a piece of aluminum foil or parchment paper on top of chili and add hot dogs on top. Replace cover and allow to cook for two more hours until hot dogs are cooked all the way through.
- Place a hot dog into bun and top with chili
More Great Chili Recipes!
Check Out Our Facebook Page For More Slow Cooker Recipes!!
Check out our latest on Instagram