Slow cooker chicken lettuce wraps are a delicious and easy, anytime meal. Shredded chicken and Asian veggies slow cooked in an amazing sauce all wrapped up in crunchy lettuce leaves.
This crunchy lettuce wrap is a whole family favorite. To make it you will need:
- Chicken breast - boneless, skinless breasts are easiest
- Water chestnuts - canned, all liquid drained
- Bamboo shoots - canned, all liquid drained
- Celery - diced
- Green onions - sliced
- Hoisin sauce
- Soy sauce - low sodium is my preference
- Garlic - minced
- Ginger - grated (fresh, not powder)
- Sesame oil
- Rice vinegar
quantities noted in recipe card below
Where are my "dump and go" fans at? This Asian cuisine recipe is for you! Just add chicken and all of the following ingredients into your slow cooker and walk away!
The best part is that you don't even have to assemble the final dish if you don't want to. This one can be served make-your-own style.
After chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF, remove just the breasts from your crock pot. Use two forks to shred chicken and return it to your slow cooker. Stir to combine chicken with other ingredients and keep on warm until ready to serve.
Exact cook times will vary by slow cooker, but you should assume 4-6 hours on low.
🍽Serving lettuce cups
At dinner time place whole, clean lettuce leaves on your table along with the chicken filing. Your diners can make their own wraps by filling large lettuce leaves with this delicious recipe. You can also add toppings such as sesame seeds and chopped green onion.
🥬Best kind of lettuce
The type of lettuce that works best with these healthy lettuce wraps have larger leaves that are naturally cup shaped. My first choice is iceberg lettuce because I love the crunch! Other great choices are: butter lettuce, green leaf lettuce and Boston lettuce leaves.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
Asian lettuce wraps are amazing the day you make them - but leftovers are awesome too! Store the juicy chicken mixture only (no lettuce) in airtight containers or bags.
The rich flavor will be just as delicious after for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Alternatively, you can freeze for 3 - 4 months. DO NOT store wrapped in lettuce leaves. Always wrap in fresh lettuce when serving.
😉Hints & hacks
- When possible purchase already sliced water chestnuts.
- Celery can also be purchased already diced in many grocery stores.
- Garlic can be purchased already minced in handy jars. They last for quiet a while and make for an easy toss and go ingredient.
- One thing I wouldn't try to make "lazy" is the fresh ground ginger. Using fresh grated ginger in this recipe ads a fabulous taste boost.
- Not in the mood for lettuce, this chicken dish is also great stuffed into raw bell peppers or as a topper for baked potatoes!
- Use a meat thermometer for confirmation that chicken is safe to eat. According to the FDA, chicken is safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F
- Slow cooker liners are an optional but helpful hack whenever using a crockpot. They allow you to cook with little to no cleanup. I like to buy mine in bulk for a better per-piece price.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love my new one!!
Yes! Ground chicken will need to be cooked before adding it into your slow cooker. This can be done stove top. After cooking, drain off the liquid and add to slow cooker with all of rest of the listed ingredients
No. That is one of the greatest features of slow cooker recipes . As long as you keep the lid on your slow cooker, your chicken will cook evenly all around and throughout. In fact, it is recommended that you not open your slow cooker at all while cooking (although it's sooo tempting!).
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Lazy Slow Cooker Chicken Lettuce Wrap Recipe
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breast
- 2 8oz cans water chestnuts drained
- 2 8oz cans bamboo shoots drained
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ½ cup green onion sliced
- ½ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup low sodium soy
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- place chicken breasts in slow cooker2 lbs. boneless chicken breast
- add remaining ingredients2 8oz cans water chestnuts, 2 8oz cans bamboo shoots, ½ cup hoisin sauce, ½ cup green onion, ½ cup diced celery, ¼ cup low sodium soy, 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger, 1 tbsp. minced garlic, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. To confirm that chicken is done, use a meat thermometer to check internal temperature of chicken. Once it reached 165ºF, it is safe to consume.
- remove chicken breast from slow cooker and shred into small pieces.
- return shredded chicken to slow cooker and mix all ingredients together
- serve in lettuce cups and enjoy!
Checkout our latest on Instagram
Have you tried this recipe? We would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below! 💗