This easy slow cooker cashew chicken recipe is real crowd pleaser. Tender chicken, broccoli and cashews all in a delicious, savory, Asian-inspired sauce.
Who doesn't love picking up the phone and ordering dinner to be delivered right to the front door? Unfortunately, frequent take-out not only gets expensive but you also have no real control over the ingredients.
Crockpot to the rescue! All you have to do is toss a bunch of fresh, wholesome ingredients into your slow cooker and it magically turns them into an amazing meal.
Like having a personal chef-ish. (Ok...its nothing like having a person chef, but a girl can dream, right??).
How To Make This Easy Chicken Dinner Recipe
The sauce for this chicken recipe is made up of soy, vinegar, ketchup, sesame oil, and spices. The basic steps involve mixing these ingredients together right in your slow cooker (to save dirtying an extra bowl) and then adding in the chicken pieces. Turn chicken over in the sauce a few times to make sure all surfaces are coated.
Slow cooking provides the added benefit of both marinating and cooking simultaneously. About half an hour prior to serving, remove chicken from slow cooker. Add broccoli and cashews to cooked sauce in slow cooker and stir to mix.
Cut cooked chicken into cubes (it may fall apart while you try to cut and that is ok too - neatness does not count here!) and add it back in to the mixture allowing it to all cook together until you are ready to serve.
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
Hints and Hacks for Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- I always recommend using a slow cooker liner for easy clean up. I like to buy mine in bulk for a lower per-piece price. This is, of course, an optional step
- This recipe works well with breasts or thighs. Breasts will produce a drier finished product. Since slow cookers vary in temperature, I suggest using a meat thermometer. This is particularly important when cooking chicken breasts since they can very quickly go from cooked through to dried out. Thighs are naturally fattier and therefore won't dry out quite as fast. Chicken is considered ready to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165˚.
- This is a great dish to make with chicken tenders! They cook more quickly than breasts. Keep an eye on the temperature, but when I make it that way, the chicken cooks through in about 2 hours.
- Cashew chicken is great served over rice, rice noodles or even riced cauliflower.
- For added flavor and flair, sprinkle some crushed cashew pieces over the top of the dish just prior to serving.
- If anyone is in the market for a new slow cooker,I love mine!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Lazy Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- 3.5 quart slow cooker or larger
- cutting board
- line slow cooker with liner, if using.
- Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic and ginger to slow cooker and mix together
- Add chicken to slow cooker and make sure it is well coated with sauce on all sides
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours (or high for 2-3) or until temperature of chicken reaches 165°
- about half an hour prior to serving remove chicken from slow cooker vessel and cut into cubes.
- Add broccoli and cashews to slow cooker and Stir to coat
- Return chicken to slow cooker, stir all to combine, cover and allow to cook for another 20-30 minutes or until broccoli is cooked.
- serve over rice, rice noodles or riced cauliflower.