This fabulous slow cooker candied sweet potato casserole is one that you will want to serve this holiday season. This casserole dish is full of great flavor. It is a great addition to any Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner!
I have been asked why I use my slow cooker when everything I use it for can be prepared in alternate ways. The oven, stovetop, and microwave are all great, but my slow cooker is and always will be my BFF.
This crock pot sweet potato casserole is one perfect example of why. There is no time spent hovering over a hot stovetop. It is hands-free allowing me to enjoy my guests/children/glass of wine without interruption. Using it allows me more oven space for other dishes. And, it doesn't add extra heat to my house when I have a crowd for a holiday meal.
To make this sweet potato casserole recipe you will need a few simple ingredients:
- Fresh sweet potatoes or yams - This recipe is delicious with either. They should be diced into bite-size pieces.
- Maple syrup - pure syrup is always best in my opinion
- Cinnamon - ground
- Vanilla - pure vanilla extract is the most flavorful
- Kosher Salt
- Mini marshmallows - you can cut up larger marshmallows if you have trouble finding the mini ones
This is a true dump-and-go recipe! Just add all ingredients into your slow cooker, except your marshmallows. Cover and cook on low for 3-5 hours. This dish is ready to eat once the potatoes chunks are fork tender. Mine was ready to go after about 3-5 hours. Sprinkle marshmallows on top and cook for another 30 minutes are so until marshmallows are melted.
When you reach this point, turn your slow cooker down to warm and pay attention to other things!!! This is one of these crock pot recipes that you can serve right from your slow cooker.
Alternatively, you can transfer potatoes to a serving dish. If you choose to move it, sprinkle some fresh marshmallows on top as the gooey marshmallows will mix in.
Obviously, this slow cooker sweet potato casserole recipe is the perfect Thanksgiving side dish for your turkey and some dinner rolls. It would also be great with any other holiday menu. Making this from scratch is far better than the canned stuff and will be loved by all family members.
Leftovers of this delicious crockpot dish are best stored in airtight containers or bags. It will last for several days in your refrigerator and several months in the freezer. The best part is that it can be easily reheated in the microwave. I suggest adding a few fresh marshmallows on top of the sweet potatoes when reheating.
😉Hints and Hacks
- I topped this recipe with marshmallows because.....marshmallows! But, this is optional so feel free to leave them off. Or if you just want to tone down the sweetness, you can use less.
- The beauty of this slow cooker recipe is that you can leave it in your slow cooker on the warm setting right up to (and even including) serving.
- Sometimes I use yams for this recipe. I personally prefer them, but sweet potatoes will work as well. Interested in learning the difference between yams and sweet potatoes? Click here.
- I always use slow cooker liners for easier clean-up (another reason to love your slow cooker!)
- Sweet potatoes and yams can sometimes be found already cut into chunks. However, if you will be cutting them yourself, be sure to use a vegetable peeler to remove all of the skin first.
- To add some variety to the flavor of these delicious sweet potatoes, substitute cinnamon with pumpkin pie spice.
- If you are not serving right from your crockpot, a slow cooker liner makes for super easy cleanup. If you do plan to serve from your slow cooker, skip the liner (it will be more attractive without it). Spray unlined slow cooker with non-stick spray before adding any other ingredients.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 or 6 quart slow cooker
- place diced sweet potato into slow cooker2 Lbs diced fresh sweet potato or yams
- add remaining ingredients except marshmallows and stir gently to mix2 tablespoon butter, 1 cup maple syrup, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon pure vanilla, pinch kosher salt
- cook on low for 3.5 hours. Open pot an stir contents. Top with marshmallows and cook for another 30 minutes. Turn pot down to warm until ready to serve.2 cups mini marshmallows
Great Crockpot Side Dishes
Check out my latest on Instagram