This amazing slow cooker hot chocolate is beyond delicious. Easy to make and far better than any mix. Add in some flavored vodka and other liquors and you are ready to celebrate!
Hot chocolate is like heaven in a mug! Nothing can compare. Hot chocolate mixes are wonderful. But, when you use real chocolate and real milk you make some real magic!
This easy hot chocolate recipe combines whole milk with actual chocolate chips and is my idea of the perfect drink. While the whole family will love this recipe, there is an "adult-only" version that is next-level amazing! It is just right for everything from holiday parties to random chilly winter nights.
To make this easy slow cooker hot drink, you will need:
- Whole Milk
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Chocolate Chips - or chopped up pieces of chocolate
- Vanilla Extract - pure vanilla extract is always my preference
- Whipped Cream - (technically optional, but not really IMHO 😂)
To make the "adult-only" version of this simple recipe you will also need:
- Vanilla or Whipped Cream Vodka - (yes! Whipped cream vodka is a thing.)
- Bailey's Irish Cream
- Godiva Chocolate Liquor
To assemble this amazing hot cocoa, add milk, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, and vanilla to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low.
Every 15-20 minutes, remove lid and stir all ingredients. It is important to use your mixing spoon to stir/scrape the chocolate from the bottom. It will naturally settle down and start to melt there. If you don't mix it in, it will eventually start to burn. Once the chocolate is fully melted and mixed in, you will have a perfectly rich hot chocolate drink.
If you are serving little humans, the best thing may be to stop here. Alcohol can always be added to each mug of cocoa individually
For adult-only holiday gatherings, add in whipped cream vodka, Bailey's Irish Cream, and Godiva chocolate liquor. This combination will put you right into the holiday spirit!
You can leave this warm drink on the low or warm setting of your slow cooker throughout your gathering. Just keep in mind that the alcohol will start to cook off as it sits.
Whether serving on Christmas morning, on cold, snowy days, or at a holiday party, whipped cream is always the perfect topping! Cinnamon sticks, candy canes, and mini marshmallows are all ideal additions.
Another great way to customize your drink is to decorate your whipped cream. Chocolate shavings, crushed mints, and pumpkin pie spice are all delicious and pretty toppings. Colorful sprinkles along with drizzles of chocolate or caramel sauce are also a great treat!
Make-your-own hot chocolate bars are a fun and festive way to serve this amazing drink. Keeping simple ingredients and toppings next to your slow cooker will allow everyone to personalize. A bowl of marshmallows, bittersweet chocolate shavings, and/or broken peppermint bars would all be great for this. Along with whipped cream, of course!
If you love this recipe, please let me know in the comment section below!
As written, the recipe calls for vanilla extract. However, you can feel free to alter this to suit your taste. For example, substituting a teaspoon of peppermint extract is the perfect way to satisfy chocolate mint lovers! Fans of chocolate and orange should try adding orange extract.
If you try any great combinations, please share in the comment section below!
In addition to the alcohol mentioned, other great add-ins include:
- Peppermint Schnapps
- Creme De Menthe
- Coconut rum
- Vanilla rum
- Triple sec
😉Hints & hacks
- I am a huge fan of slow cooker liners! However, if you are serving this during a holiday season celebration, it will be more attractive looking without a liner.
- The easiest way to serve out of your slow cooker is with a ladle
- In the market for a new slow cooker? I love mine!
- Looking for more delicious recipes for crockpot drinks? Mulled wine and Hot Spiked Apple Cider are my two favorites!
- And of course - Never drink and drive, always drink responsibly!
2-3 hours should be the maximum.
It depends on how long your drink has been sitting out. If your hot chocolate has been sitting out for several hours, it is safest to toss it. Otherwise, you can store extras in a pitcher in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases and affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate [With Alcohol]
- 3.6-quart slow cooker, or larger
- ½ gallon full fat milk
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2⅔ cups milk chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- vanilla or whipped cream flavored vodka
- Bailey's Irish Cream and Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker EXCEPT alchocol½ gallon full fat milk, 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, 2⅔ cups milk chocolate chips, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- cover and cook on low for 1½ hours
- remove cover and stir well. The chocolate will melt but will be laying on the bottom. Stir to mix chocolate fully in with the milk.
- replace lid and repeat every 10 minutes until chocolate is fully melted and mixed in.
- If you will be serving children, stop here.
- To spike drink, just before serving, add ½ cup vanilla or whipped cream vodka, ¼ cup Bailey's Irish cream, and ¼ cup Godiva chocolate liqueur
- If you will be serving both adults and children, alcohol can be added on a per-glass basis. Add a shot of vanilla vodka and a splash of each liqueur to each cup of hot chocolate.
- top with whipped cream and serve and ejnoy
Check out my latest on Instagram
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
I'M IN!! SIGN ME UP FOR OCCASIONAL EMAILS FROM THE LAZY SLOW COOKER!
Natalie Thompson says
This was AMAZING! I tried this out for a Christmas Holiday Drink party and it was the hit of the night! everyone’s favorite! it’s so rich and not too sweet. I topped with mimi marshmallows, added cinnamon sticks and little candy canes to the rim too which was just the perfect touch. I used half a cup of Vanilla Smirnoff, Baileys and the Godiva Liqeur, but it could definitely have more, couldn’t taste it at all! thanks for the great recipe!! Will be making again and again.
The Lazy Slow Cooker says
Hi Natalie! Thank you so much for sharing this!! Happy Holidays!🎄🎊