Crockpot chicken cheesesteak, made with shredded chicken, caramelized onions and mushrooms served on a crusty hoagie roll is an easy treat. Top it off with melted cheese and your favorite condiments for meal everyone will love!
I was born and raised in the Philadelphia area. We are very proud of, but particular about, our cheesesteak sandwiches in Philly! (If you aren't familiar with cheesesteaks, click here) According to what I have been able to uncover, the lighter chicken version of this popular dish didn't appear on the scene until sometime in the 80's. It quickly became a popular, "healthier" version of its meat filled cousin.
What Is A Chicken Cheesesteak?
A traditional chicken cheesesteak is a sandwich made with grilled, thinly sliced chicken and melted cheese served on "hoagie" (local term for a sub sandwich) roll. Common, but not required toppings include fried onions, grilled mushrooms and, of course, cheese! Cheese choices vary from Cheez Whiz to American to provolone, depending on your preference. Some like it topped with ketchup, others hot peppers and still others prefer sweet peppers. The lists of favorites is long. The following recipe assumes the use of provolone cheese (favored by by The Team!)
How To Make a Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak
Part of the charm and amazing flavor of this easy chicken meal comes from the caramelized onions. While this can be done in a stove-top pan, I prefer the more intensely flavored slow cooked version. Just add sliced or diced onion along with some olive oil and let your slow cooker work its magic. Eight or so hours on high, or overnight on low are great ways to let the onion’s flavors mellow and their sweeter side to shine through. These onions can be made in advance if you prefer to make this meal in two steps.
Four or so hours before meal time, place the chicken into your slow cooker. Add in the mushrooms, onion, garlic and oregano. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. The goal here is for your chicken to be falling apart. Once the chicken has cooked through and is tender shred the chicken and stir to mix in with the onions and mushrooms
Building Your Sandwich
This is the fun part! Slice open a hoagie roll and stuff it with with some of the delicious chicken mixture. Top it with your cheese of choice and place it under the broiler for a moment or two to let the cheese melt to gooey perfection. Add in ketchup, hot peppers, sweet peppers or any other preferred condiments. Be sure to savor that first juicy, gooey and delicious bite!!
Steak Sandwich Hints and Hacks
- This is a great dish if your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to low and everyone can have a warm and filling meal, no matter what time they are ready to eat.
- The chicken in this dish freezes really well. I like to freeze leftovers in meal sized containers for easy reheat-and-eat meals.
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price. Here are the liners I buy.
- When using a slow cooker liner, you can also use it to store the onions in the fridge if you plan to slow cook them in advance.
- This slow cooker recipe calls for chopped or sliced onions. To keep things as lazy as possible, I purchase these pre-cut. They are very inexpensive and generally readily available in the frozen vegetable section of your grocery store. This saves a lot of tears!
- There are a lot of different opinions regarding the best way to shred chicken. Some people prefer to use a potato masher while other use the beaters of a handheld mixer. This chicken will be so tender it will be very easy to shred with two forks. Keeping it simple!
- In the market for a new slow cooker? Here is the one I am currently lusting after.
- To confirm when chicken is finished cooking, I suggest a meat thermometer. According to the FDA, chicken is safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Here is my favorite meat thermometer.
I love this dish! But, it is not a true Philly chicken cheesesteak. To experience the real deal, you must travel to Philadelphia and order from one of our many famous purveyors of this local treat! If you need a recommendation of where to get a true Philly cheesesteak, comment below or DM me and I will give you some awesome suggestions!
Lazy Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwich
- slow cooker
- 2 forks (or other equipment for preferred method of shredding chicken)
- 12 oz frozen diced onion fresh onions can also be used
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
Chicken Cheese Steak
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 8 oz canned sliced mushrooms - drained fresh mushrooms can also be used.
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- American, provolone, cheddar or whiz cheese
- Hoagie Rolls (Crusty Italian Sub Rolls)
- place fresh or frozen diced onion and olive oil into slow cooker and cook on high for 5-6 hours. Alternative: cook on low overnight. Can be stored in closed liner or container if making in advance.
- place drained mushrooms in slow cooker with cooked onions and stir.
- Add chicken breasts to slow cooker and sprinkle with garlic salt and oregano
- cover and cook 3-4 hours on low or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F.
- remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks
- return shredded chicken to slow cooker and mix in with onions and mushrooms
- cook on low for an additional hour and switch to warm until ready to serve
To Make Sandwich
- Cut open roll, and fill with chicken mixture
- top with cheese of choice
- place in broiler for 5 or so minutes to melt cheese.
- close sandwich and serve!!!
Great Slow Cooker Chicken Dishes
Check Out Our Facebook Page For More Slow Cooker Recipes!!