Lazy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Delicious crockpot chicken tortilla soup is an easy, meal-in-a-bowl. This wonderful dish contains tender shredded chicken, corn, tomatoes and the perfect “south-of-the-border seasoning.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes including the liquid
- 14.5 oz canned corn drained
- 10 oz enchilada sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion I always keep chopped onion on hand in my freezer
- 4.5 oz chopped green chilies I use mild, but if you prefer more heat, you can turn this up.
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup chopped cilantro fresh or frozen
- optional garnishes: tortilla chip crumbles, toasted tortilla strips, avocado slices and/or lime wedge.
If you are using them, line your slow cooker with a slow cooker liner
Add chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, onion, chilies, cumin, paprika, chili powder and cilantro into slow cooker vessel and stir to mix.
add chicken to mixture
cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Any time after chicken is fully cooked through (chicken is considered safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°), remove it from pot and use a fork to shred.
return shredded chicken to mixture and keep on warm until you are ready to serve.
serve in bowls with crumbled tortilla chips, avocado slices and or a lime wedge for garnish
Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 1400mg | Potassium: 465mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 680IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 3mg