Use your crockpot to make this deliciously spoon-able mashup of sweet corn, corn muffin and eggs. Corn spoonbread is the perfect side dish for any meal!
You have found it....no need to look any further. The perfect side dish!! Whether you are making dinner at home, attending a potluck, going to a backyard bbq or just need one more dish for your buffet, this is the answer!
What is Spoonbread??
Spoonbread is pretty much just what it sounds like, a spoonable creation that is sort of a cross between bread, savory pudding, and a casserole. In this case, it is what you get when you cross a corn muffin with a warm and wonderful pot of creamed corn.
As its name suggests, it requires a spoon for serving rather than a knife. Bottom line: it is delicious!!
This dish contains pretty basic and easy to find ingredients:
- corn muffin mix - any brand will do
- canned creamed corn
- canned corn
- eggs - beaten
- sour cream
- whipped cream cheese - whipped is easier to combine with other ingredients and will melt more evenly than regular cream cheese.
- melted butter - the microwave is the easiest way to melt, but it can also be done stovetop.
Start by beating eggs together. Add in remaining ingredients. Stir well and pour into slow cooker. Cover, cook, serve! That's it! Doesn't get much easier! Or more delicious!
I can't really think of anything you wouldn't want to serve this with! Some really amazing combinations include: 1. BBQ ribs, coleslaw, and baked beans, 2. A juicy steak and steamed broccoli or 3. Meatloaf and a crisp side salad.
😉Hints and Hacks
- Corn spoonbread is a great dish if your people will be eating at different times. After the cooking time, turn your slow cooker to low and everyone can have a warm and filling side dish, no matter what time they are ready to eat.
- Although you probably won't have leftovers, if you do, they reheat really well for future meals!
- This is an easy dish to travel with making it a great pot-luck, office party, shower, etc dish to volunteer to bring (I promise I won't tell anyone how easy it was to make!)
- I always recommend the use of a slow cooker liner. Of course, this is an optional step. I purchase my liners in bulk for a less expensive per-piece price. Here are the liners I buy.
- In the market for a new slow cooker? Here is the one I am currently lusting after.
More Great Side Dishes
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lazy Slow Cooker Corn Spoonbread Recipe
- 3.5 qt slow cooker or larger
- mixing spoons and cups
- mixing bowl
- wire whisk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 8.5 oz package corn muffin mix
- 1 14.5 oz can creamed corn
- 1 15.25 oz can sweet corn, drained
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup whipped cream cheese
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- beat eggs
- add in remaining ingredients and stir well until fully combined
- pour mixture into a lined or well greased slow cooker
- cover and cook on high for 1.5 - 3 hours until fully cooked through
Check out our latest on Instagram
Have you tried this recipe? If so, we would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below! 💕